what to expect at summersville?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hola,
I am looking at diving summersville lake while visiting some family. I know about sarges dive shop but have never been to it. I plan to give them a call. What temps are around 130? Where is the low thermocline? Anything to see down there? Usual viz?
I did a search on here and really did not come up with much.
Thanks
Jimmy

There is a small community of divers that frequent the lake. None of which dive much or at all with Sarges. Not that there is anything wrong with sarges but we do a lot of classes and shore diving on our own.

The thermoclines are many and often and the temps will depend greatly on when you plan to come. Let me know and we can plan to meet you there. I have not been below about 80' at Summersville Lake, nothing to see down there. Right now the temps are in the mid 60's below 30' and get colder fast as you go deeper. I have not dove it this season but have some reports from friends and dive shop buddies that have been there recently.

Vis will run 15' on average and can be worse with boat traffic, students etc. We dive a lot near the dam near the winter boat ramp. There is one small platform there at about 27', a rather large, sort of flat rock that some shops use as a makeshift platform for classes and a small boat to dive, the Thomas Patrick at 30'-35', and the winter boat ramp in about 80' at summer pool levels.

There are other sites to dive but I work a lot with students and don't really make it to most of the other sites. You will find that the lake is pretty much the same regardless of where you go.

This is an altitude dive of 2,000' so plan accordingly.

If you have specific questions or want to go out with us when you are in town just let me know.

Glad to be of help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom