BC question for Amputee.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My sister inlaw was born without a Left hand and will be taking an upcoming open water course with us. And even though I have absolutely no questions about her abilities I have been putting some thought into ways myself ( as her DM ) and the instructor I work with can make things a little easier for her.

When I say easier I am not trying to say we expect any less from her but I am speaking of simple things such as using a wrist mount compass and computer instead of a console as she does have a full left arm she would be able to manipulate buttons and compass dials with her right hand. And just using a spg clipped across chest so as to easily reach and view with right hand while not interfering with second stage or octo.

But the area I am having a bit of an issue with is the BC or more importantly the power inflator and dump mechanism. I see a few issues for her with it on the left side as far as reaching it and using it (maybe I am over analyzing) I also see problems if it were mounted on the right side ( which I have never seen ) getting tangled up with hoses. Have thought about the possibilities of using a wing and reverse mounting it as to put it on the right side ???

what do or have others done with the same issue ?? Thanks for any help....

Some good questions. I'd be interested in the answers as well. A few things do come to mind though. IF you went with a DSS wing you could route the inflator over the right since the elbow is mounted in the center of the wing. If this were done then you would need to do something with the reg hoses. As an instructor I would have no problem with her using a short hose on the primary. Say 22 inch just as if it were going to be bungeed, maybe 24 so she could turn her head easily. Then route a standard octo under the arm as usual. Some might suggest coming with it from the left but then she would have to rely on the OOA diver grabbing it in most cases.

Wrist gauges and the spg clipped off across the chest would work as well. Need a longer hose on the spg perhaps but no big deal. I would suggest a hogarthian harness if she were my student though since once it is adjusted it stays. And if there were an issue with her the buddy would already know that in an emergency the quickest way out of it is to just cut the harness. She would also have to be clear during predive checkouts to address all of the gear changes with a new buddy.

If she were to go with the setup I described it really is not that much different as far as hoses go. Keep the inflator hose short and tight on the corrugated hose and it should not interfere with the reg hoses.

The only issue I can see with the wing is the lower dump. It is normally on the left side. You could call Tobin at DSS and see if he could do one of two things. Put the dump on the right or mount the inflator on the opposite side so that if you did flip the wing the elbow would still be on the outside. Just flipping the wing puts the elbow between the tank and bc and reduces the ability to dump air from it and most likely will always trap some.

I agree that a standard bc while usable is not going to lend itself to your sister-in-laws issue. In fact I've yet to find a jacket bc that I really would dive with since going to BPW and my Zeagle Express Tech.

A few other suggestions. Put a thigh pocket on her right side. Either the suit or the DiveRite that you can slide onto the waist belt and fasten around her thigh. One on the left will even work. I sometimes get into my left one with the right hand when carrying a stage or if my hand is occupied. It is not ideal but a bc could pocket I could never do like that. Too awkward.

In training I would also spend extra time with her doing OOA drills and air share ascents just because she has one hand to use to vent and keep control of the air supply/other diver. This would mean a THOROUGH briefing of dive buddies.

ANd now that I think of it a long hose might not be a bad idea! Put the bungee back up on a 22 inch and come from the left with it. She would donate long hose with right hand anyway. And she could pop the back up in with the left fairly easily with a bit of practice! Some can even do it hands free if it is set up correctly.

And to the naysayers, no this is not beyond the ability of ANY new competently trained OW diver! Oh man I wish you were in my area. I have a class starting in a week or so. If all of you were here I'd train her for half or less of what I normally charge just for the priviledge of doing so. 6-8 weeks and if she can swim and is comfy in the water I'd guarantee you that she would have few issues by the time we were done. Nothing that a little thought and predive discussion wouldn't take care of. SOme of the rescues would be a challenge but we'd figure it out. Good luck and Kudo's to her!

M
But the area I am having a bit of an issue with is the BC or more importantly the power inflator and dump mechanism. I see a few issues for her with it on the left side as far as reaching it and using it (maybe I am over analyzing) I also see problems if it were mounted on the right side ( which I have never seen ) getting tangled up with hoses. Have thought about the possibilities of using a wing and reverse mounting it as to put it on the right side ???

Is this an actual problem or one you're just thinking of?

I can easily reach my inflator with my right hand. Are you sure your sister-in-law can't?

Terry

Thanks Jim for all your input as usual very helpfull. I had forgotten about certain wings essentialy being center mounted and the elbow being able to route left or right .

Was also thinking ditchable weight pockets mounted on her rig would be easier than belt Definetly leaning towards BPW as it would be much easier to customize to her specific needs.

I love your last statement as someone who has had the privilige (and I do mean that) of working with a few Individuals with challenges I would take any of them over most students any day to me there is nothing more rewarding than the smile and gleam in the eye of an individual who didnt think something like scuba diving was a possibility.

Is this an actual problem or one you're just thinking of?

I can easily reach my inflator with my right hand. Are you sure your sister-in-law can't?

Terry

You very well may be wright Terry it could be nothing more than overthinking something......

As has been stated, first wait to see if this is in fact a problem. I know a gentleman who is a triple amputee (from birth) but the one limb he does have is the left arm. Next if it is an issue and you do not want to use Tobins fine product the DSS backplate and wing (my favorite), on many jacket BC, they have a dump valve on the right shoulder as well as the power inflation on the left. Simple thing to unscrew the two and switch them.

Now we may have an issue of entanglement with all the air hoses on the right side. Nothing written in stone that says the air hoses have to be on the right side. It is the standard configuration here in America but not written in stone. Probably started because the inventor (Aqualung) was paralyzed in one arm at the time.

As Jim says, this is well within her abilities, just needs to practice, see first if there is an issue and if so, adjust either her style or the equipment. I am privileged at the moment to have a class of disabled Veterans with the following conditions: 3 Incomplete C4-5 Quadriplegics (one well involved, one walking), one double Amputee above the knee and 5 Traumatic Brain Injuries. We challenge them to achieve the standards and they contentiously surprise and amaze us.

This is a great post. I look forward to hearing how all of this works out.

Northernshrinkage, I have worked with people that have various disabilities and have always been amazed at the "normal" things they are always able to accomplish. In fact many times they will find a more efficent way to do than you or I could.

If you sister in law has full use of her left arm, other than not having a hand, I bet she will amaze you with all that she will still be able to do with the buddy (any) drills. I would also think that if you set up her second stage on a necklace that getting it into her mouth while air sharing will be no problem for her.

Please keep us all posted as she progresses through the course.

what do or have others done with the same issue ?? Thanks for any help....

We have constructed wings in the past for divers one armed divers, or divers lacking full use of their left hand or arm.

It's a special order item, we need ~ 1 week to make it happen.

If you are interested give me a call.

Tobin

You might consider PMing Mwhities from this board -- he doesn't post much any more, and I don't know if he still dives, but for a while, he was a very active participant. He's an amputee, missing his left arm above the elbow. I know he spent a lot of time figuring out how to optimizing his rig for one-handed use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom