Is learning to dive on your own safer than learning with an instructor?

Is learning diving on your own safer than learning with an instructor?

• Yes. I trust myself more than I trust an instructor.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Yes. I learn better at my own pace and alone.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • No. An instructor will increase my safety.

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • No. However, I would make sure I have a qualified and competent instructor.

Votes: 59 74.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though I am just a newbie, I feel that my instuctor was invaluable. The in pool examples and critiqes of my technique were where I got my money's worth. Though I already knew about Boyle's law and Dalton's law of partial pressures, I feel like there were many things that I learned in the OW classroom that were essentail, including the precise naming of scuba gear. I vote for a qualified, humble instructor who still loves to see the look on someone's face the first time they breathe underwater!

H2Andy:
please read the following thread if not familiar with the on-going debate:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=47509&page=1&pp=15

i won't summarize the positions for the various parties, and i apologize
that for purposes of the poll i had to come up with language that seems
(to me) to cover the spectrum of our discussion.

I am not sure I agree that the debate is about which one is safer...but its cool if the board wants a second thread on the same subject.

:banana:

i couldn't figure out how to do a poll on the other thread. i just wanted to know
what the break-down, voting wise, was.

You could learn to dive and pick up the mistakes along the way after all it is your life. A good scuba instructor would transfer his/her experience to you in a controled and safety environment. Not only cut short the learning time also more fun.

Vote yes. Be famous. Win a Darwin Award.

Teaching yourself some of the diving procedures would be easier if the basic PADI OW book they sell for the class was not written for idiots. Example, can you use the PADI dive table for multi level dives? You can find an answer by searching this forum. I’d feel better if the answerer went through a more rigorous peer review but heh, what can you do. What does the PADI book tell you? If I remember correctly it says go get a computer. That sounds like “we’d tell you but we’d rather took another class, or purchased a computer.”

If you’re reasonably intelligent, are willing to put the time and surround yourself with mentors with the appropriate skills you could get away with not taking a class. This poll is bogus because “learning at my own pace and alone” is not reasonable. How about learn at my own pace with dive buddies who are willing to spend the time to teach me what they know. Since there are people on this board that are self taught, the need for an instructor is obviously not a given.

Yep, there are bad instructors, plenty of them. However, even a bad instructor is better than trying to figure it out on your own. I would have thought this a no-brainer but then again I remember some discussions with some pretty "special" members here.

WW

Back
Top Bottom