Is learning to dive on your own safer than learning with an instructor?

Is learning diving on your own safer than learning with an instructor?

• Yes. I trust myself more than I trust an instructor.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Yes. I learn better at my own pace and alone.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • No. An instructor will increase my safety.

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • No. However, I would make sure I have a qualified and competent instructor.

Votes: 59 74.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
please read the following thread if not familiar with the on-going debate:

http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=47509&page=1&pp=15

i won't summarize the positions for the various parties, and i apologize
that for purposes of the poll i had to come up with language that seems
(to me) to cover the spectrum of our discussion.

"Is learning to dive on your own safer than learning with an instructor?"

Of course not. While some don't teach everything they should, the answer is more training, not less.

As a matter of fact I tried it, and can honestly tell you that it is only by the grace of God that I am alive. Even a poor instructor is better than none. Watching Sea Hunt didnt quite cut it.

:cheeky: I'am with Walter

Who's the instructor?

as a rule of thumb i would say an instructor. but there are exceptions. i learned in 83 to dive from a buddy. we still dive together. as an ow instructor i would never recommend someone learn on their own. but off the record if they told me that it was my old buddy who agreed to show them i wouldnt discourage it. im sure many wont be happy with this but many others will understand. there are exceptions to the rule. many of you probably learned the same way i did. Lastly, my buddy is still only an ow diver. we get a kick out of boat crews telling us that i need to insure he stays with me or he cant dive. after all, im an instructor and he's just ow. lol

The instructor/student method works a lot better than the put on the gear, and jump in method. They can remind you to turn on the air and don't hold your breath.

They can also show you how to orient the tank in the BC. It's kind of eye opening to go on a dive boat and watch people mount their tanks facing the wrong way. It makes you wonder what else they forgot from that OW course a couple of years ago.

I have to go with the instructor being neccessary. If nothing else it was my instructor that instilled the fact that there was still a lot to learn. From there it was and still is up to me to further my education and skills.

The reality is that not all instructors are created equal, never will be.

I would say OK if you were a cat.

At least you would have 8 tries to get it right.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom