Lionfish in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an invasive species though, they are easy to spot and don't swim fast, so easy to kill with a Hawaiian sling

Hank that's what I thought till I speared one last week. It shook off the spear and swam like lightning never to be seen again. Our boats are equipped with foot-long 1/4" steel rods. Sharpened on one end and a rubber band tied on the other end. You use your thumb and index finger as a crutch to launch the spear like a sling shot. Has been very effective in eradicating lionfish and we have been doing a good job about it. Once 1 is spotted the area is marked and a crew member goes down during surface interval and says hello. We are not allowing spear guns and Hawaiian slings because we don't want DMs coming back saying a grouper or hogfish got in the way and "we didn't want to leave it behind!"

At Turneffe they are popping up faster than we can control. We don't see much juveniles anymore guess they stay in the mangroves and come out to the reef when they grow up.

Check out this pic of an uninvited guest in my bachyard.

Lots of juveniles under the docks in San Pedro reports are coming back they are quite prolific in the shallows.

As for Groupers getting in the way yes I can see if we allowed spear guns the Groupers and Hogfish would be jumping uncontrolably infront of the gun commiting suicide and there would be nothing the DM's could do to avoid them LOL :D :wink:

While you can try to control the Lion Fish population I am afraid its too late they are all over now and sad to say probably here to stay.

$50 bounty for a LionFish!
(I'd think this should get some attention)
Ambergris Today - San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize

Unfortunately they stopped this already and are no longer paying the bounty I think too many were being bought in and there was no funds to keep paying I beleive.

Being an unemployed x dive resort owner i thought this would be a perfect new job for me LOL they stopped it before I could get going :D

I've done several dives off San Pedro recently. I've been looking out for lionfish but haven't seen any at all.

Thats good to hear peter my ref was under the docks they found several under the dock of my old place also Palapa bar is supposed to have a couple under there, seems like under the docks is a good spot, lots of juvenile fishes to gulp up.

I spoke too soon! I saw one on a dive at Tackle Box this morning.

I took some friends out to dive the wall off Southern Long Caye a week ago. They saw one.

hey guys , at tackle box this morning , we saw 3 of the buggers ......... they like to hide deep in the rocks ..

We've probably got around 20 on the wall at SW Caye - great news, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom