Lionfish in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they're around on a night dive, watch out! They like to sight along the beam of your lamp for hunting, which means they come very close to the back of your hand. They're not aggressive, but if you brush one accidentally you'll know all about it.

...well, honestly, I can't imagine a scarier dive than one where I'm with a bunch of recreational diver 'yahoos' armed with their very first spear guns...the cure is worse than the disease !

...well, honestly, I can't imagine a scarier dive than one where I'm with a bunch of recreational diver 'yahoos' armed with their very first spear guns...the cure is worse than the disease !
LOL
I had an incident like that in Fla --- some newbie yahoos with spear guns actually swam up to me, as I hung there motionless taking pictures of a grouper. They scared the crap out of me as they pointed their "weapons" right at me! They obviously had no idea what they were doing. Luckily, I jumped and the grouper took off unharmed. Back on the boat my hubby let them know what we thought of their trying to shoot a fish I was photographing! I certainly look at all spearfishers differently now...

robin:D

My advice then is to stay away from places where spearfishing *regularly* occurs. Popular wrecks, oil rigs, etc... There are plenty of newbie spearfishers out there. Lionfish "pruning" likely wouldn't even be statistically significant for that demographic.

A Lionfish was photographed in Belize in December and, apparently, again this month according to a report on the Undercurrent Forum.

Excellent website for background information and current sightings for Lionfish, some absolutely fascinating information: NAS - Species FactSheet

Good diving, Craig

A Lionfish was photographed in Belize in December and, apparently, again this month according to a report on the Undercurrent Forum.

Excellent website for background information and current sightings for Lionfish, some absolutely fascinating information: NAS - Species FactSheet

Good diving, Craig

Thanx for the link.

I just got an email from an ichthyologist who wrote the following:
"It is now believed that spawning in an oceanarium in
the Bahamas is the real source of Pterois (Lionfish) to the Atlantic, not a broken
aquarium from a hurricane in Biscayne Bay, Florida".

I just got an email from an ichthyologist who wrote the following:
"It is now believed that spawning in an oceanarium in
the Bahamas is the real source of Pterois (Lionfish) to the Atlantic, not a broken
aquarium from a hurricane in Biscayne Bay, Florida".

What is the difference between an oceanarium and a large scale aquarium? Or is the only difference that it began in the Bahamas rather than Florida?

When originally hearing about lionfish in the Bahamas a couple of years ago, I had heard that it was due to a hurricane aquarium disaster in the Bahamas, not sure what part, and that they were moving along the U.S. as well as the Caribbean.

I'm not sure what he meant, but perhaps the "broken aquarium" was just one in someone's house. ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom