In the Philipinnes for one month diving. Should I buy an SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ushipb00

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I will be diving with a Dive guide for all of my dives in the Philpinnes. I already own a Dive Alert Signaling Device. Should I buy a surface marker buoy? I've never been trained to use one, so what do you recommend for that? I've seen my guides use them all the time for drift diving, but I've never thought of buying one until now, for emergencies. I have about 38 dives under my belt. I will be diving in Malapascua, Moalboal, Bohol, and Puerto Gallera.

Custom Divers makes this Radar Detectable SMB called the seeker I am thinking about buying. Any opinions would be helpful.

Quality Diving Equipment by Custom Divers - SEEKER - RADAR DETECTABLE SMB

Thanks,

B

Definetly get one! ANd practice using it in a good safe environment. It takes a bit of practice, but is definetly worth the effort. If ever you get separated from your DM, you will need it... Especially with the boat traffic in some areas like PG.

I use the DAN one and it is very high quality, just big enough (not too big) and a good price (50$ at Scubatoys). Combined with a finger spool, it is a life saver. I never dive without is anymore...

:coffee:

why limit yourself to one San Miguel Beer?:crafty:

icecoldSMBPale_main.jpg

So I a little confused and this may be a very dumb question. So I use an SMB before poping up to the surface? And I delpoy it at the safety stop?

So I a little confused and this may be a very dumb question. So I use an SMB before poping up to the surface? And I delpoy it at the safety stop?

SMB's are deployed at the surface and typically don't have and over expansion valves. DSMB's can be deployed from depth or on the surface, have over expansion valves and are secured to a reel or spool with line. They can be deployed on a stop or before, but the real benefit of a DSMB over a SMB is in marking divers who are doing a drifting stop.

They are cheap insurance and I'd recommend anyone diving open ocean carry one. However, deploying a DSMB from depth can be hazardous and should be practiced with someone who is experienced with them.

Hi,

I will be diving with a Dive guide for all of my dives in the Philpinnes. I already own a Dive Alert Signaling Device. Should I buy a surface marker buoy? I've never been trained to use one, so what do you recommend for that? I've seen my guides use them all the time for drift diving, but I've never thought of buying one until now, for emergencies. I have about 38 dives under my belt. I will be diving in Malapascua, Moalboal, Bohol, and Puerto Gallera.

Custom Divers makes this Radar Detectable SMB called the seeker I am thinking about buying. Any opinions would be helpful.

Quality Diving Equipment by Custom Divers - SEEKER - RADAR DETECTABLE SMB

Thanks,

B

Absolutely. Even if you never learn how to deploy it underwater, any time you're on the ocean you stand a chance of getting lost.

I'd buy the biggest one you can store in your BC and practice setting it up in the pool.

Carter has a nice 8' or 9' model that you can clip your weights to on the surface. It will stand upright by itself and is visible for a tremendous distance even in rough water.

Terry

I bought one specifically for my last dive trip to the philippines based on my first trip there. We were diving hole in the wall in PG and I had a lot of trouble equalizing, ended up calling the dive since I couldn't equalize and we got swept way out. Lucikly the DM had an SMB and I promised I would never dive without one after that. On my second trip last november with my new SMB in hand I ended up having to use it after a dive in Alona beach, I came up early (again ear problems) and the boat had taken off (god knows where, I think he ran back to the dive shop shuttling divers). I ended up treading water for 25mins, deployed the SMB and got picked up by another boat.

Don't rely on another divers SMB you may never know when you will need it.
I practiced a lot at the safety stop at the end of a dive deploying the SMB, you definitely need to practice and learn to do this. Just let the DM know your intentions beforehand, definitely get a finger spool as well.

erm, SMBs you're supposed to pop after you surface and enjoy every drop. (sorry couldnt resist, this is PPD after all)

Back
Top Bottom