Stocking BH with Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What about seeding the pond with fish again?

The next time I go home and have the chance to hit the Blue Hole, I'd like to see a few more fishies swimming around. :)

Someone tried last year. I think the problem is goldfish tend to be surface feeders and get sucked into the overflow. Nice idea, just did not work.

Probably someone with knowledge needs to determine a native fish that can be planted in the b/h. Something that is happy eating the algae since there is not much else there.

Has anybody noticed that the thickest region of algae growth is just above the grate and nowhere else?

P1010074.JPG

BTW, the last time I was at BH, the statue had been moved to a ledge at around 20ft on the north wall.

Goldfish are about the best option for the BH because they do very well in coldish water, and they eat algae. Over the years I have seen Carp, Piranha, trout, and a few other varieties in BH. GF, and Carp seem to do well, most others don't.

GF are NOT surface feeders. The issue we had in releasing the GF was that the outflow can and does carry fish away. In addition the flu was raised at some point and the BH lost a lot of fish, not just GF.

I think dumping a bunch of GF in the BH on a regular basis is a great idea. Unfortunately most will NOT survive, but some will. That is just the nature of life. If we want to see an increase in fish population, then stocking the hole is a very good idea. Unfortunately for those of us living 5+ hours away from BH, hauling GF is a bit of a dicey task.

KOI would make an awesome addition, but they are bit pricey. Someone mentioned pulling some KOI out of their pond and dumping them in the BH, but I don't think that ever happened.

I put about 10 GoldFish from our pond in and a few of them were still swimming around the next day. I'll do my part to keep bringing some up there every now and then.

http://legis.state.nm.us/Sessions/09 Regular/final/HB0467.pdf
The division of wildlife may have some issues with release of non native fish.

LOL I don't think they would really care being that the Hole has been populated by dozens of goldfish for dozens of years. They didn't get there naturally. I would love to see more fish, especially more carp or some koi.
A group at my LDS are the ones that put the car in Perch one weekend, lucky they didn't get caught and have to explain that! :shocked2:

And given the primary use of the Blue Hole, zebra mussels & their ability to clean the water may actually improve the vis!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom