Stocking BH with Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From New Mexico's fishing regulations

It Is Illegal:
• For persons 12 years of age or older to fish without a
license on their person;
• To use someone else’s license;
• For anglers 12-69 or nonresidents 70 and older to fish with
more than one pole in any water without a Second Rod
Validation;
• To release bait fish into fishing waters;
• To litter or pollute any waters or the banks of any waters;
• To leave a campfire burning and unattended;
• To sell, offer for sale, or purchase game fish or parts taken
in New Mexico;
• To stock fish or fish eggs in any waters without a permit
from the Department of Game and Fish;
• To import live fish or fish eggs into New Mexico without a
permit from the Department of Game and Fish;
• To take fish or other animals that are protected by law as
endangered or threatened species;
• To catch game fish by net, seine, trap, grappling, or other
means not allowed in the New Mexico fishing regulations;
• To use any mechanical or electrical device capable of
catching or killing game fish, except as permitted by
regulation;
• To catch game fish by snagging except kokanee salmon
during the Special Kokanee Snagging Season;
• To fish in any Class “A” Lake without consent from the
owner.
• To fish with more than 2 flies on a single line when fishing
the special trout water of the San Juan River.

Frank has a good point, but one I don't agree with in this case. Goldfish are non-invasive, and very little can survive in the BH as there is not much of a food chain established. Dumping in a few GF on a regular basis is NOT going to screw up the BH, nor anything downstream, in fact I believe quite the opposite.

My father managed National Forest for much of his life. Land of many uses is how they define it, and if you don't understand what that means an example of USE is Mining, Drilling for Oil/Gas, Timber harvest... It really takes the government to screw things up on a large scale! They routinely stock lakes (or did) with native and non-evasive fish.

I would encourage folks who want to stock the BH with GF, KOI, or Carp as there fish are already present, and pose little threat to what little ecosystem is already there. I would not however advertise this -OR- maybe someone is willing to get the proper permit. However be careful as this would likely blow up in ones face getting the Government involved. The only thing worst would be to involve Lawyers! :rofl3:

It's not like you're releasing them into a lake that runs into a river.

OK, I will bite... where does all the water go from the blue hole? I assume you know the answer right?

I called NM fish and game. Since they stock trout and panfish in Blue Hole Ponds I asked why not a couple dozen fish in the BH for the amusement of the divers. The guy in charge hasn't called back. Considering I have an out of state area code I don't expect to get a return call. So, for those of you who live in NM call this number and ask the same question. 575-624-6135. If you want a name at the fish and game departments PM me.

I called NM fish and game. Since they stock trout and panfish in Blue Hole Ponds I asked why not a couple dozen fish in the BH for the amusement of the divers. The guy in charge hasn't called back. Considering I have an out of state area code I don't expect to get a return call. So, for those of you who live in NM call this number and ask the same question. 575-624-6135. If you want a name at the fish and game departments PM me.

the big problem with stocking those fish in Blue Hole is that it will encourage people to break the law and Fish in Blue Hole. Right now there are signs saying "fishing is prohibited" but I have seen people bring a fishing rod in there and when told they couldn't do it, they put it away. If no one was there to correct them, I am sure they would have thrown their line in the water. :depressed: So now, if there were fish other than goldfish and carp, I guarantee they wouldn't last long! People would be in there, when there were no divers around, fishing! :no:

Trout won't survive in that environment due to the low dissolved O2 levels, since the water is underground fed. Bummer.....

There was a story a bit back about some local hoodlums that stole trout from the hatchery and dumped them in the BH. They didn't last long.

Fish like Koi, goldfish and the like is the best bet.

And there is the rub. Maybe the DOW would be willing to stock trout (IOW's game fish), but I have never heard of them stocking GF, or Carp. GF are not native to the US (correct me if I am wrong) even if you can buy them by the gross here. They come from Asia.

I don't think the DOW will stock GF period, and in fact may have an issue with folks stocking GF, despite the fact they do no harm, as they are not native.

As for fishing at the BH, that would be kinda stupid with so many lakes in the area where it is legal to fish, and one may actually catch something worth catching. I saw a 3'+ Catfish in Perch a few years back. It was in the mud in the back of the car in the dead of winter. I have not seen is since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom