Looking for Computer advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, there is really only one computer that impresses me and that's the Liquivision X1
Liquivision

I don't have one but is I were even thinking about deco or voodoo gas diving, this is the one I would buy.

Meanwhile, back in the land of reality, I have a Dive Rite Nitek Duo for nitrox diving. It is a great computer and the new software is far better than the original. The new downloader USB driver is vastly improved.

I think of the Suunto Vyper as an adequate 'recreational' computer - like my Nitek. The difference is that I probably can't read the smaller display of the Vyper. At my age, I need large and bright displays. Even the Nitek isn't as bright as I would like.

That's why I want the X1. It is VERY BRIGHT!

Richard

I was going to say Liquivision also, but that is when I get some money. I currently dive a Suunto Vyper (first generation) for recreational, and I am looking at a UWatec Luna, or Diverite NiTek Trio.

For tech, I use my Vyper in gauge mode, backup UWatec bottom timer, and GAP Software.

Get a relatively inexpensive ($300 or less) wrist-mount dive computer with air, nitrox, and gauge settings from a reputable manufacturer. Make sure that the computer has a user-replaceable battery and that it is easy to read and use.

Based on your current level of dive experience and the kind of diving you'll be doing in the next couple of years, it makes no sense at all to buy a $1000+ dive computer. Your diving $$$ would be better spent on training, gaining experience, and dive vacations.

When you finally graduate to multi-gas diving using helium mixes, your "starter" computer can be used in gauge mode as a bottom timer. By the time you are doing that kind of diving, spending $300 on dive gear won't even make you flinch. Find out the going rate for helium mix fills for a set of doubles in your area...then you'll know what I mean. :D

I'm currently diving my second Vr3 but there is definitely a Shearwater in my future. If I hadn't already owned the Vr3 when the Shearwater came out or if I was looking for my first mixed gas/deco "tech" computer the Shearwater would without a doubt be my choice.

Gary

I would like to thank everyone who offered opinions.

Technology will advance and prices will retreat even as you go through training.

We could talk for days on end about computers for the most experienced diver, let alone for you-there is just so much more to choose from when you're new.

Get something simple-if anything at all-right now.

Get trained(maybe you WONT even like it....I can't believe I said that....I've been out of water too long!)...and then just think of all the great deals you can get just from the number of people on this board alone. Board members willing to sell their "old, used"i.e. hardly used at all and in great shape, computers so they can have the cutting edge. And most divers here keep their equipment in better shape than anything.

You'd be doing you and them a favor e.g. "Honey, I sold that old clunky VR3 online to a new tec diver.....so that means I can buy the Liquivision now-right?"

It's a win-win

I happen to have a shearwater predator and a uemis. They are both excellent and very easy to reead, even for these ol' eyes. I had trouble seeing my VR3 even with the colour and big graphics upgrade. My shearwater is trimix and the uemis is supposed to have a free trimix upgrade this spring. Whatever you choose I recommend an oled screen. You'll love it

I'm sure that everyone has their favorites, but if you are sticking to air and Nitrox within NDL, I've had great success with Oceanic. I have a Neo180nx, but I find their one-button user interface to be a giant pain. My 250 has a second button which makes things significantly better. I've seen lots of the low end Oceanics in the rental pool in Mexico.

Oceanic Worldwide - Personal Dive Computers - Veo 250

I have spoken to my instructor and he is the one that has pointed me towards the Suunto brand. I respect his advise, but would like to hear what other people think also. Just to trying to make an informed decision.

I've been diving with an integrated Suunto Cobra for several years. Never have had any problems. The only thing I wish it had was a backlight - would be a nice to have for night dives - but not mission critical.

UJ

Wolfdiver,

When I started diving I knew right from the start that I would be interested in technical training later down the road so I applied what I had taken away from other activities in the past wich is buy more than you need and "grow" into it. I fell in love with the Suunto Vytec because of the cool air integration and gas switching possibilities. Mind you I had no idea at the time what a gas switch was, it just sounded cool and useful. Well, fast forward a few hundred dives and my transmitter is sitting in a bin somewhere, replaced by a simple SPG, and my $1200 computer runs in gauge mode (witch basically gives me time and depth - that's it) I could get that from a used $100 Uwatec bottom timer.

Here's the what I didn't know at the time: Alot of tech divers don't even use computers. At all. So since you asked what to get for the time being I would strongly advise you to get a basic nitrox capable computer, definitely wrist mounted, and preferably with the option of switching it to gauge mode later. In essence I agree %100 with bubbletrouble on this one.

Oh and I'm not anti computer at all. I just would wait to spend the $$ (or not) until YOU know wich features YOU will need for YOUR type of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom