Looking for Computer advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am getting back into the sport of diving and wish to continue up into different types of Tech Diving, including wrech and deep dives. With that being said I have been looking at dive computers for the past few weeks and would like to hear from other more experienced divers on thier preferences. I think that I would prefer to go with a wrist mount as aposed to a console but again would like to know what you think. I have been leaning towards the Suunto Viper Air. Any opinions? :idk:

As a tech diver, I use a Nitrox computer for recreational drift diving where it is difficult to plan a "square" or "multilevel" dive and still get decent bottom time. So, all you really need is a cheap Nitrox computer with a user-replaceable battery, nothing fancy.

You do not need a computer for any other diving, including tech and cave diving. It is, however, nice to have a bottom timer like the Uwatec that displays average depth at any point during the dive, as opposed to a bottom timer that won't give you average depth until the dive is over. The Uwatec will also function as your depth gauge and it will log your dives.

Based on your current level of dive experience and the kind of diving you'll be doing in the next couple of years, it makes no sense at all to buy a $1000+ dive computer. Your diving $$$ would be better spent on training, gaining experience, and dive vacations.

Mattleycrue76:
When I started diving I knew right from the start that I would be interested in technical training later down the road so I applied what I had taken away from other activities in the past wich is buy more than you need and "grow" into it. I fell in love with the Suunto Vytec because of the cool air integration and gas switching possibilities. Mind you I had no idea at the time what a gas switch was, it just sounded cool and useful. Well, fast forward a few hundred dives and my transmitter is sitting in a bin somewhere, replaced by a simple SPG, and my $1200 computer runs in gauge mode (witch basically gives me time and depth - that's it) I could get that from a used $100 Uwatec bottom timer.

Here's the what I didn't know at the time: Alot of tech divers don't even use computers. At all. So since you asked what to get for the time being I would strongly advise you to get a basic nitrox capable computer, definitely wrist mounted, and preferably with the option of switching it to gauge mode later. In essence I agree %100 with bubbletrouble on this one.

Oh and I'm not anti computer at all. I just would wait to spend the $$ (or not) until YOU know wich features YOU will need for YOUR type of diving.

+2 on this mindset.

Most "tech" and wreck divers that I know don't use a computer at all... Or the one that they purchased in the beginning of their dive career is now relegated to "gauge" status and the actual "computer" function is turned off.

If you're asking why and don't understand how that could make any sense, you're not alone... But rather than me trying to sit here and explain it to you, it would make more sense for you to actually train for it.

...Which is to say that, if you really want to get into "tech" diving, you should take the money you were going to spend on the computer and enroll in a more advanced course, where they'll teach you why you may or may not want to use a dive computer.

...Which means that you're going to need to break away from the "recreational" agencies like PADI and NAUI. Instead, look for an IANTD course, TDI course, or GUE "Fundies" course.

What you were going to spend on a dive computer will cover your entry into "tech" diving quite nicely. THEN you can consider your computer purchase. :)

The Suunto Air is a nice computer. I have one, but it may be limiting as you pursue tech training.
It does handle 2 gas mixes, but it will not tell you when to switch (even though you should already know.) If you take trimix courses, you will only be able to use it in gauge mode (which is not necessarily a bad thing.) You can also upload dive plans to it using NAUI-GAP Diveplanner.
If you decide to buy the Suunto Air, make sure you also get a bungee mount for it from DSS. The wrist strap has a way of coming open.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom