Anyone ever fly through Moscow to a dive destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

song

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi--

I've been looking to make a first trip to Indonesia. Found some good airfares on Singapore Air from Houston IAH to Manado. The flight is routed from Houston to Singapore via Moscow's Domodedovo airport. Has anyone had any experience flying through? Do flights have a higher chance of delays from here? What are the chances of scuba gear (or anything else in checked luggage) going missing after a stop here? I've heard it's a clean & modern airport, won't have time to leave the airport as the layover is fairly short. Any thoughts? Might be able to take a different route for a different price? Don't know why I think it's any different from other big international airports....

Thanks.

I've transited Sheremetyevo several times, when attending parachuting competitions near Moscow. It is the worst airport I've ever been through, bar none.

I know DME (Domodedovo) is supposed to better and newer, but I haven't been there yet. A cople of weeks ago I rode a bus in Kuala Lumpur with a couple that took the exact same flight you're contemplating. Besides it being "an excruciatingly long flight", their stories of the layover in DME sounded surprisingly like SVO.

The good thing is that SQ is a superb airline.

All the best, James

I flew from Houston (IAH) through Moscow (DME) on the way to Bangkok (BGK). We were only there for a short time. We offloaded the plane, went through the terminal, struggled through security and reloaded onto the same plane. We were required to take all of our possessions with us to go through security. It was relatively easy except that I had two bags to deal with.

Do not try to take any pictures inside the terminal. The local military did not like that at all, even though I was only taking a picture of a vending machine.

I have flown through DME a number of times, all on business. I've never had any problems there at all. Security is stronger than in many other places, be prepared for that. On one trip I bought a mechanical pilot's clock from a MIG airplane and had it in my carry-on; when the security guard saw it he immediately called his supervisor over. While I'm worried they think it is some kind of illegal timing device, the supervisor looks up and asks, "So you like airplanes?" He knew what it was, smiled and waved me through. I've not had any problems with anything missing from luggage, but then I have only had clothes in the suitcase. Last comment - Singapore Air is one of the best airlines in the world, I've never had a bad flight on them.

thanks for the advice. In another forum I'd read a comment about DME being a good airport, but why would anyone want to transit there when there are so many easier airports outside of Russia.

but why would anyone want to transit there when there are so many easier airports outside of Russia.

Price of the tickets?

Houston to Manado for a little over $1k per person/RT on the Singapore website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom