Book Review: Shipwreck Heresies by Gary Gentile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I pick up a book that's as bad as you describe this one, I stop reading when I come to that conclusion. I do not press ahead and waste 20 hours. Why didn't you just put the book down?

He did it just to annoy you Walter.

What does this have to do with a book review? The guy wrote a book. It's quite apparent that he outright lied at least about Bret Gilliam based on his subsequent retraction. What else is he a liar about?

Maybe he'd rescue me if I needed it? woohoo

Probably because your review seems to be more than about his book, but about him as a person. When your write a "Book Review", theres no need to personally bash the author. If you found that the book wasn't worth your time because it was filled with erroneous facts, than say that. If you want to make a thread about someone, than make that, don't try and disguise it as a "Book Review". I don't know Gary or anything, I have never read any of his works, nor do I know a lot about him, or his feuds, but jumping on someone for making a comment about someone personally, while you made personal comments in your review is pretty silly.

I picked it up from a USED book store, only because I didn't want any more money to go Gary's way...at any rate.

The only reason I DID pick it up was that he promised 70 pages of more proof that SD was a farce, and promised that he had proof that people actually dived on the wreck in 1988 (which I didn't think was THAT far fetched, but no one proved it was the U-869 at that time) What I DID think was funny was when he went on to claim that another diver correctly identified the wreck! (but Chatterton found the actual PROOF when he found the parts box...) Ok...so when you dive on a new wreck, someone has an opinion of what it MAY be and if five people offer opinions, then possibly ONE could be right...but that doesn't make them the person that ID'd it! funny stuff! The book reads like he can't finish a thought and he goes off on tangents before getting to the point ( if he ever gets there that is) I also laugh at how he CLAIMS that there is so much "evidence" disproving SD at every corner, yet fails to actually provide any evidence other than a slight difference of opinion.

So Pete, when John and Richie "bought" SB did you really have your "henchmen" remove any positive reviews of Gary's book? You can tell us, we're all friends here! (same goes to Joe Porter and Wreck Diving magazine)

What REALLY had me laughing (and scaring my wife) was when I got to the part where he misquoted my Amazon review of SDE and writes it off as "these people probably never actually read the book, and were probably shills hired by Chatterton and Kohler!" I spit out my drink when I got to my name! (which was not my SB nick) So if you got it, go to page 321 and see what "Ben B" said about it! Then go to Amazon and look for the FULL review! I love it!!!!

The content of those 70 pages spends more time berating the "detractors" and doesn't add to his story of why John and Richie are wrong, and spends several pages complaining about other stuff! I just feel that the man has a chip on his shoulder and is pi$$ed at the world because HE isn't the one they chose to be on Deep Sea Detectives!

As far as the rest of the book, It reads like a grumpy dive report, I just wish he'd write reports on the dive trips, and stop complaining already.

The 70 pages on SD are a hoot!

Quick hijack: does anyone know how Gary pronounces his surname? Is the last syllable an "eel" or an "isle"?

I am actually Chatterton's sock puppet.

But really, positive always stays. Overly negative stuff might go, especially if there is name calling.

Quick hijack: does anyone know how Gary pronounces his surname? Is the last syllable an "eel" or an "isle"?

Like "eel"

I am actually Chatterton's sock puppet.

But really, positive always stays. Overly negative stuff might go, especially if there is name calling.

Does John have big hands? :rofl3:

Anyway...I just thought that accusation was a tad out of line! I'm pretty sure that you can't risk THAT TYPE of censorship without getting a bad name in the industry!

Same goes for the Wreck Diving magazine accusations I'm sure.:idk:

Delusion goes a long way!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom