Hydration, hydration, hydration - bent in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay, so glad to hear that you're going to be okay. When I saw Art post on ZenDiving that you got bent I was worried. Sorry to hear you're out of the water for six months. I do hope that the dry time is more painful that what you experienced on Coz!!!

A question for Dr. Deco and TS&M:

Between diveassure and my home insurance this will not cost me anything except lost dive time (which devastates me) and a STRONG suggestion to not dive for 6 months.

What's the deal with 6 months? Is there anything that's going to heal or become less fragile in 6 months than in, say 6 weeks?

Terry

Pardon the ignorant question but "water pill" means it cuts down on water retention?
From one source: "Diuretics are medicines that help reduce the amount of water in the body."

Or What are Water Pills?
Water pills are pills which tell the kidneys to express sodium from the body, causing an excretion of excess water as well. They are more properly known as diuretics, and they are used to treat a wide variety of health conditions. Some people also take water pills for weight loss; this use is not advised, and it can actually be very dangerous. In addition to being potentially harmful when abused, water pills do not actively contribute to weight loss; they simply remove excess fluid from the body.
I work at hydration when I dive and increase my salt intake a little in hopes of increasing fluid retention some. My bud & I were in Coz last week, making coffee, brewed tea, kool-aid, crytal light in our room and we grabbed a 5 gallon jug from the hotel stash. Emptied it in less than 4 days aside from liquids had at meals.

The pill is 5 mg of metolazone. Prescribed due to some swelling in my ankles. I was drinking a ton of water. Big glass of water on waking up, another on way out door, a bottles before and after dives, bottle on return and big glass at night. Of course I was peeing like crazy too. What was up with that? lol 6 months was the doctors recommendation (sans diving). I asked if I was forevermore extra vulnerable and he said there was not enough information to say either way.

A lot of people have no idea how much water they really need to stay hydrated, and a lot of people go through their daily lives actually being a bit dehydrated.

This is a good piece of information from the Mayo Clinic on adequate hydration. Water: How much should you drink every day? - MayoClinic.com

If you're not normally a big water drinker, it's best to start gradually increasing your intake a couple weeks before a dive vacation. If you don't normally drink a lot of water (or liquids in general), then start pounding them back on your vacation, you will end up peeing more of it out... the age old water weight-loss trick. If you gradually build up and get your body used to it, then you'll stay better hydrated. If you're already drinking a sufficient amount daily then just factor in what you're losing in the hotter climate and your diving activity.

And for those who like to spend their non-diving time beach bar hopping, try and drink a water between alcoholic bevvies, end early with a couple extra glasses of water and get enough sleep. Alcohol is a diuretic.

Just returned home tonight. I have a uwatek smartcom console. The average depth is what the computer uses for the dive depth. Often the max depth is only briefly touched so the average depth is the actual figure. I will try to download the dives tomorrow. I have a graqphical representation of each dive showing depth and time. Thanks for the input. As I look at my litttle calculator here at home I'm also not as surprised.

As to physical work load I did walk to and from town (Guidos) which is on the north end of town. Probably about a 5 or 6 mile walk the night before. I was tired and footsore upon return.

I have that same computer. Was it not screaming at you? My computer would have driven me nuts with alerts had I dived the profiles you listed. I'm stunned, given your SI's, that it didn't zero you out on RBT on one of your dives.

I have now had a chance to study my computer printouts on my large screen computer at home and it appears I have some computer issues. Incorrect dates - putting dives on different days etc. I'm taking it in along with the logs / printouts to have it checked at my lds. My computer ususlly screams at me if I ascend faster than 60 ft. per minute so it is set very conservatively but this time it was silent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom