Day trip to San Diego for AZ divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janet and I are planning on going. She to Sea World; me to diving at La Jolla. She is still a non-diver....for now. (queue evil laugh as I rub my hands together)

Janet and I are planning on going. She to Sea World; me to diving at La Jolla. She is still a non-diver....for now. (queue evil laugh as I rub my hands together)

Great Steve. I'll see you there. Hopefully we'll have more divers too. We'll meet at Kellogg Park just south of the parking lot in the grass area. There usually are alot of southern CA divers that congregate near the flagpole on the south side of the park. We'll meet on the north side up near the parking lot. That way it should be pretty easy enough for us out-of-town divers to find each other.

See you there March 28th. Should we say around 8am that day?

- Josh

I'll be out of town that weekend, but we should maybe try a bi-monthly trip out there or something. I really like diving the wrecks and kelp. La Jolla shores were a bit of a pain to get to, and not much to see last time I was there. Although, I didn't dive the coves.

The La Jolla Shores dive is basically a sand wall with ridges that drop off 3ft to 5ft. If you expect to see lots of life, fish and structure, then you will be disappointed. You really have to work for it, by slowing down, looking in the small holes, around sea grass and then you'll see stuff like this:

a couple of dives at Lake La Jolla - SCUBAPOST.net Forums

For more information on the dive site, see this link.

Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: La Jolla Shores of California South, USA West

La Jolla Cove, just around the corner from La Jolla Shores is a total different experience, with lots of fish, structure, kelp and see grass. Viz can be dodgy though, and you have to be lucky to get great vis there. I have seen Giant Seabass there as well as Soup Fin sharks.

Soupfins sharks in La Jolla Cove July 11&12 2007

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalS/La_Jolla_Cove/index.htm

I may actually join you guys on this one!

As far as the parking in the La Jolla cove area, well you have to time it exactly right or you'll be driving and driving around looking for a spot to parallel park along the road, and even then you may not find one. As for beginner ocean divers, like me, the La Jolla shores area is pretty good and has a parking lot. Just a long swim out on the surface though.
@josh1:
I'm not a Southwest Sand Shark, but I have some local knowledge of LJ diving.
Whenever I dive La Jolla Cove on the weekend, I try to rendezvous early in the morning...like at 7am. That'll win you a parking spot close enough to the stairs to gear up by your car. In the summer, short of a 6am rendezvous, the best strategy is to simply drop off your gear at the loading zone right in front of the grassy area by the stairs. Then re-park the car in an available spot nearest the water (I parked about 10 blocks away once) and walk back. Just don't forget anything in the car if you do this.
+1 on all of ShakaZulu's comments
One man's "long swim" is another's "short kick." :D Have fun at the Shores, guys.

Less than 3 weeks away! I am just trying to get an idea of anyone slse that is planning on going over to San Diego March 28th.

BIll and I are definately going. He is driving over the morning of the 27th (Friday) and I am going over later that afternoon.

Let us know if you are going or want to work out some sort of transportation. There might be some ability to carpool if needed. Otherwise we can meet at Kellogg Park near La Jolla shores on the morning of March 28th (Saturday).

- Josh

Janet and I won't be able to leave until Friday after 5:00pm.

I'm stuck working the 27th, so no go for us.... the good news is we're off to Cozumel in a few days!

I may actually join you guys on this one!

ShakaZulu, you are most certainly welcome to join us. We AZ divers would sure appreciate the company and conversation. I'm sure it would be a great learning experience for us too. There will be PhxSki - Bill, and ScubaSteve2000 - Steve, and I (Josh) that will most likely be coming over there March 28th. THere may be a few more here from Arizona making the drive over and meet up with us too. Perhaps we might make it a trip to La Jolla Cove instead. I had thought about that. Steve and BIll both are PADI Rescue divers and have dove from the Sand Dollar live aboard boat. They're great divers and I have alot of respect for their skills. (Really nice guys too)

We'd sure appreciate the company if you want to join us though and any other local divers too. We'll put something here on this post the week before the 28th about where and when we'll plan on meeting up there in La Jolla.

Thanks for the links too! those were great!

- Josh

sound like fun, I usually hit the Wrinkles or whatever it's called now in May @ the shores. Sorry can't make it. I'm in SoCal right now and dry because a Southern Swell is not cooperating with my work furlough. Here's hoping you have better luck than me, my last 2 trips have been blown out.

Garrett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom