Books about diving the waters around Wreck Valley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTSkipper

Reaction score
I know that someone else started talking about this elsewhere but I figured I would start a new thread.

I have read:
Long Island Shore Diver - Short descriptions and directions to about 60 dive sites on Long Island with some pictures and sketches

The Last Dive - About the father/son team who died trying to identify a U-Boat off the cost of NJ. The book goes into a little detail about the history of tech diving.

I am in the process of reading:
Fatal Depth - A book about the 3 divers who died in 1998 diving on the Doria. I am only about a 3rd of the way through it but there is a lot of detail about how the ship sank along with some pictures of her going down. I have just started to get into the details of the dives.

I left adding any real reviews to the descriptions but please feel free to and also to add other books you have read about diving in the area.

Ben

New Jersey Beach Diver
same as the first book you mentioned, same author, only NJ site

Wreck Valley
same as above, once again same author, info on a lot of the wrecks from the top of LI to the bottom of NJ

Complete Wreck Diving by Henry Keats and Brian Skerry

Although you can't tell from the title, the two guys who wrote it did most of their diving in Wreck Valley. The book draws most of it's information from local sources and is a great "how to" guide.

Primary Wreck Diving Guide by Gary Gentile.

Gary is the godfather of northeast wreck diving....nuff said!

Neutral Buoyancy by Tim Ecott.

This book has nothing to do with wreck valley, but is a must read for any diver. It covers the history, sensations and very essence of diving like no other book out there. Even non divers would love this one.

i read fatal depth, too. not bad BUT deep descent covers the same and more plus the author is a diver with doria experience. reading fatal depth you can really tell what the author clearly states: he does not dive.

Deep descent was a good read.
I went out to buy NJ beach diver and have had no luck. I guess it's out of print, does anyone know of a good source for this book?
Thanks, Boats

I own this book also.
New Jersey Beach Diver, The Diver's Guide to New Jersey Beach Diving Sites

He has a CD-ROM program (which I own) available for all of Wreck Valley area also. I've seen it for sale at just about every Scuba Swap Meet that I have ever been to so far. I've also gone diving with Mr. Berg and can attest to his knowledge and skill in the local region.

Spydertek

SpyderTek once bubbled...
I own this book also.
New Jersey Beach Diver, The Diver's Guide to New Jersey Beach Diving Sites

He has a CD-ROM program (which I own) available for all of Wreck Valley area also. I've seen it for sale at just about every Scuba Swap Meet that I have ever been to so far. I've also gone diving with Mr. Berg and can attest to his knowledge and skill in the local region.

Spydertek

Spydertek,
What happened to you this year??

We had some real good dives on Dan's Boat... Unfortunately ever dive at thye last part of the season was called due to weather..

boats313:

most of dan's books are available through
www.northeastaquanauts.com

Our club uses Dan's boat alot and Louie was part of Dan's film crew and occasionaly mates for him..

Joe

Ok we have the shore dives and boat dives covered.

Does anyone know of any books about all the inland diving in this area (Quarries, Lakes, Rivers, etc)?

I don't know of any not already mentioned.

I did recently finish 'In Harm's Way", an excellent book about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis.

I'm almost finished reading 'Into Thin Air', about climbing Mt. Everest. - Thanks Scott.

Back
Top Bottom