Enriched Air v. Advanced Open Water Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest getting the nitrox cert as one of your first AOW specialties. If your nitrox class is properly taught it will really get you thinking about different PP02's and their effects on your body at depth.

I would suggest AOW first. Many dive ops require AOW for their wreck dives and deep dives. last years Invade the keys involved many dives the operators required an advanced cert for.
As for Nitrox, our shop offers an Enriched air/ AOW combo. perhaps your LDS has a similar offer?

I think you can combine the two and save some money over the individual prices. Taking nitrox is a natural compliment to AOW.

Ask around, your LDS may be willing to throw in the Nitrox Class if you sign up for AOW or work out a discounted price for both.

PADI designed the courses to be taken in tandem and recommends students go directly from OW to AOW. I used to think that was not a good way to go, kind of along your line of reasoning, but then I saw many OW students go directly into AOW and come out in much better shape to dive on their own than they would have been had they just taken OW. The two courses together actually form a more reasonable (IMO) certification course.

Without getting into the whole discussion of "should OW be improved?", I think taking AOW right after OW is a good idea and should make you a better diver.

Nitrox cost more and you would not gain much at this point from it! You should dive enough that your skills will allow you to approach the NDL limits on air before moving to the next level. What good does it do to be able to stay for 80min. at 80ft if you burn through your air supply in in 20min at 80ft???

While I agree with your logic, you are only looking at one of the benefits of nitrox. Anyone would benefit from the knowledge acquired from a nitrox class even if you are not reaching NDL on air. Also, during multiple dive days (3 or 4 or more a day) you'd enjoy longer bottom times from a shorter SI. Specially diving with a nitrox computer.

Hope this helps.

For my next course, I'm debating between taking either enriched air or advanced open water. Which of those do you think I should take next (or would you suggest a different course)? Keep in mind that I have no specific goal right now other than gaining a lot of diving experience and becoming a better diver.
I will join those who suggest both. Enriched Air is a non-diving (or diving optional) specialty that can be taken independently, and I would recommend that didactic approach, rather than making nitrox one of the adventure dives in AOW. Putting aside the issue sometimes raised about whether AOW is really 'advanced' or not, it is nonetheless a useful experience, provides a foundation for further certifications, is a helpful credential in some dive environments - in short, there is little reason NOT to take it, and a number of reasons TO take it. One caveat -WHERE you take AOW is important. In deciding where, discuss in advance with the particular LDS or dive operation you are considering, how they conduct AOW. In some cases, AOW is offered almost on a 'You do the skill, I will check it off' basis, with limited active teaching and more focus on (mere) supervision. In other cases, it can be a rich learning experience.

Ask around, your LDS may be willing to throw in the Nitrox Class if you sign up for AOW or work out a discounted price for both.
Here we go again, always somebody trying to get instructors to live off rice and water:D

Without getting into the whole discussion of "should OW be improved?", I think taking AOW right after OW is a good idea and should make you a better diver.
Absolutely 100% agree.

While I agree with your logic, you are only looking at one of the benefits of nitrox. Anyone would benefit from the knowledge acquired from a nitrox class even if you are not reaching NDL on air. Also, during multiple dive days (3 or 4 or more a day) you'd enjoy longer bottom times from a shorter SI.
A 100 A.
Specially diving with a nitrox computer.
Well, I've seen air PDCs and nitrox FO2 programable PDCs but never seen a Nitrox computer....:wink:[/QUOTE]

Well, I've seen air PDCs and nitrox FO2 programable PDCs but never seen a Nitrox computer....:wink:
[/quote]

Here's one of the more advanced nitrox computers on the market.:wink:

Attachments

• human_brain_as_belief_engine.jpg
    human_brain_as_belief_engine.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 29
Here's one of the more advanced nitrox computers on the market.:wink:
Yes. Allows a whole range of gases, changing from one gas to another during use and monitors your buddies' gases too. Works at altitude up to 15,000 ft. Tends to be erratic from 130ft down unless connected to an adequate outside gas source with reduced nitrogen levels. Can work with metric or imperial measurements. Unfortunately the manufacturer tends to take little if any responsability when it screws up and customer service is lousy. :crafty:

Last edited:

Here's one of the more advanced nitrox computers on the market.:wink:[/QUOTE]

I'd like to get another two, just incase the present one breaks :D

When can you use the information and experience from AOW - On you next dive.
When will you benefit most from a EAN class - first time you are willing to pay for Nitrox.

Yes, I agree that the theory of EAN is valuable. I use Nitrox whenever it's available and useful. However it doesn't make me a better diver. It has huge benefits in the right situation and I recommend everyone take the class when they have the opportunity. I recommend everyone make time to take the AOW class. If you can combine them, that's perfect. Even better take PPB at the same time. It has real benefits that are useful on every dive you'll ever make.

I'm sure there are some dive association instruction facilities (dive schools) that require AOW to complete certain dives. I worked at one. In the real world, I've never been asked for anything more than my OW card and experience level. In fact, I've had problems more than once when I first got my AOW card and tried to use it in place of the OW card. I strongly encourage as much training as anyone has time and money for but experience (actual diving) is even more important. I've seen divers go from OW to Intructor in 3 months and found them to be terrible divers and even worse instructors and worthless as divemasters. Too much book work and too little diving.

I've been PADI open water certified for a little over a year and have done over 25 dives so far, mostly tropical but some cold water. I'd like to build my skills by getting additional certifications; however, due to my work schedule, there could be a big time lag between my courses.

For my next course, I'm debating between taking either enriched air or advanced open water. Which of those do you think I should take next (or would you suggest a different course)? Keep in mind that I have no specific goal right now other than gaining a lot of diving experience and becoming a better diver.

Thanks for your help!

Doug

Either course would be fine...But looking at your geographic area -NY-I would say do the nitrox class now..Its too cold to do an advance course now and if you did you be paying top dollar as you have to do it in a dry suit and it would most likely be at a private class basis. If I was to teach an advance course now on a private basis it would have to be at a rate of $550/$600.. minimum to cover expenses and boat fees.Dives would be dry suit(with pool time included)/navigation/search-recovery /deep/wreck.
Last summer I charged $285.for nav/search-recover/peak perf bc/wreck/night dives.Includes boat fees.Going up to $300. next summer.
A lds I teach for charges $189.for advance in the summer -in a group class setting-at Dutch,you pay entry fees and are responsible to either camp there or get a room and transportation of yourself.
I am in Westchester NY and would also suggest that when you do advance to have it done in the area where you plan on diving.If planning to dive locally do it here in NY..Completing advance in the islands is fun but when you dive locally in a thicker suit/more weight/cold/dark water it could be a big shock when you try a local ocean wreck if all diving you have done is in warm/clear water..Diving locally here in NY will get your navigation skills truly used.

Back
Top Bottom