bp/w, singles or doubles? for diving in New Jersey area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey everyone

After another long absence, I'm back! Well, at least for a few minutes... :)

So, I moved to NJ from Ohio a few months ago, and I'm looking forward to trying to get some more advanced training and such so I can get in some local diving (once I have some finances, at least). I get the basic impression that NJ diving is essentially of the tech/DIR school, drysuits, doubles, and bp/w setups, and I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably want to invest in a bp/w at some point. So my questions are:

1) Assuming a drysuit, what kind of lift should I be looking at?

2) Are doubles necessary for diving around here, or can I get away with a single? I have my trusty old AL90 (not a typo, I don't think) which was fine for quarry diving back in Ohio. Obviously single or double would dictate what type of wing I should be looking for.

Anywho, let me know what you think, and thanks for the help!

cheers

Billy S.

If NJ is anything like most of NE which I suspect it is, there are many many many non tech/dir divers who use 7mm wetsuits not drysuits and normal jacket bcs with singles. SB has a higher concentration of more advanced divers who use this sort of gear then the real world does. If you are an OW diver there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't do a couple of guided dives and then be ready to dive locally. If you want to use a drysuit then take the class and go for it, I did and love diving dry. I would also encourage you to look into a BP/W just because they are better than normal BCs. Given your level of experience, I would say that doubles are not for you and they are also not even close to necissary unless you are wreck/cave diving. Perhaps you have been looking a people going wreck diving (something that I believe is a major diving pastime in NJ) so maybe that is something to work towards. If this is the case a BP/W is a good purchase but the other items you mentioned are not needed yet. Given what it seems like are limited finances, doubles and drysuits are NOT the way to go given that getting set up in either would run you well over a grand each.

If NJ is anything like most of NE which I suspect it is, there are many many many non tech/dir divers who use 7mm wetsuits not drysuits and normal jacket bcs with singles. SB has a higher concentration of more advanced divers who use this sort of gear then the real world does. If you are an OW diver there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't do a couple of guided dives and then be ready to dive locally. If you want to use a drysuit then take the class and go for it, I did and love diving dry. I would also encourage you to look into a BP/W just because they are better than normal BCs. Given your level of experience, I would say that doubles are not for you and they are also not even close to necissary unless you are wreck/cave diving. Perhaps you have been looking a people going wreck diving (something that I believe is a major diving pastime in NJ) so maybe that is something to work towards. If this is the case a BP/W is a good purchase but the other items you mentioned are not needed yet. Given what it seems like are limited finances, doubles and drysuits are NOT the way to go given that getting set up in either would run you well over a grand each.

That's a relief. Yes, I'm not going to be able to make any big gear purchases anytime soon, but I was thinking of somewhere down the road. I suppose I got the impression that around here everyone dives with doubles and bp/w's. If a single on a jacket is doable, that's what I'm going to concentrate on for now, but eventually I'll look into a bp/w. Also, I have a 6.5mm wetsuit. So I guess per your comment I'm kitted out okay for now. :)

cheers

Billy S.

You should be fine. You might want to get a 2nd tank though if you plan on doing any wreck dives, as they are almost all of the 2 tanks variety boat trips. Although you can always rent tanks if you want, although availability can be a challenge at times.

FYI - a lot of boats require either doubles or a pony tank.

FYI - a lot of boats require either doubles or a pony tank.
That's usually only the case on wreck diving trips. If the OP does plan to persue that I would suggest a 3cf pony slung.

I would suggest a 3cf pony slung.

Do not do that.

Most boats will not really expect you to carry a pony of any kind. They might claim it is a requirement but few Captains will hold you to it. At this point a second tank is going to cause you more problems than it will solv anyway.

Dive the way you dive. Start out slow and work your way up to a level you feel comfortable with. It would be best if you hooked up with some divers in your area and learn from them.

Most important is to understand that you will have to ascend and descend only on the anchor line. Free ascents are not a good thing in the NY/ NJ conditions.

Hi Bill,
Diveandclimb is absolutely correct. The majority of divers here are recreational divers with either jacket style or back inflate BCDs. Dive with the configuration you are comfortable in. There is no reason to change unless you are going into tech or some specialty which requires it.
Enjoy the diving, and maybe we'll get to dive together someday. Also check out the Dive NY site. We have several members in the NYC area who are close to you and are always looking for a dive buddy.
Catch ya soon,
George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom