Questions about Rental Gear in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanshark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

I'm a warm water diver, usually in the Caribbean. I always use my own gear (Sherwood Avid Integrated BC/Sherwood Maximus reg).

However I am doing a solo Mid-Life Crisis (turning 40) backpacking trip to Thailand/Cambodia for the whole month of February/09 and will be diving the Similans as well as Koh Phi Phi and perhaps a few other places as well.

Since I will only be taking my Prescription Mask, Dive Computer and Camera. The questions that I have are in regards to rental gear.

Do most Dive Operators now have Integrated BC's (I'm Size XL) And do any of the operators offer 100 or 120 cu ft tanks (I did mention I'm Size XL). Additionally is the gear well maintained. Specifically the regulators.

Any operator recommendations/advice

Cheers,

Lanshark

Lanshark,

not to start on a bad note but I know of no operators that offer integrated BC's as standard rental gear. I'm sure somone will counter me on this who does offer them but it is unusual.

On a positive note, most operators in Phuket will offer big boy tanks, S100's are not unusual, but if you are booking in advance make doubly sure that you can get them. Some operators charge for them, some offer for free. Not sure about Phi Phi but I would guess it's similar.

Equipment should always well looked after. Most companies that I'm aware of service their regs at least yearly, but if you like the look of a company, maybe post on this board and ask if anyone can tell you how they are from experience.

Enjoy the diving. February is normally a great month to be here, especially the Similans!!!

Last edited:
Big tanks are no problem.

Weight integrated BCD's: I have not seen them in rental gear here, but maybe somebody does have them. We happen to have a few BCD's that have weight pockets, but these pockets are not suitable to replace a weightbelt (but could releave a weightbelt).

Quality of the rental gear: that really does depend on the DC. We change all our BCD's and regs every 2-3 years, some will do the same, others might have a bit older equipment.

Generally integrated weight systems are not used as rental gear.

The problem is that if the pocket falls out due to customer ineptitude, then the dive shop will have to buy a new one. Mucho dinero!!

So, the Seeman Sub BCDs we use here, have had the pockets taken out by us for that reason!

Nothing stopping you buying a weight integrated harness. I have one from DUI and its the business.

It weighs very little and can be used to carry heavy items on the plane as hand luggage! (or body luggage, depending on your point of view)

It also depends on how much diving you are intending to do.

Landshark,

If you pass through BKK and want to dive Pattaya PM me. I have a spare Mares Icon large that may be a good rental option for you. In most areas I agree with the other posters that integrated BCD's will be difficult to rent. Thai sizes tend to run small in comparison to North American sizes. If you can find a dive skin in your size you may find this is all you need RE: exposure suit. The water tends to be very warm. Today in Pattaya around the Hardeep the bottom temp was 30c. I dive a skin (rash guard mono suit) and never get cold. Most wear a 3m shorty. Dive skins pack easy and are also good while snorkeling and will help cut down on sunburn. Being less buoyant will also help you drop some weight out of the pockets :) or off a weight belt. Besides an integrated BCD, getting a wet suit in your size may be a struggle if you are a big XL. Consider buying a dive skin in Canada as they will be hard to find in Thailand. The is especially true if you need a larger size.

Safe travels,

Arizona

Thank you for the information. I'll be bringing my own weight belt as well for my trip then, just in case. I'll contact the people who sent PM's as well for diving choices.

I will also look into picking up a dive skin here in Toronto. So I should be warm enough in February with just a 1mm skin? Even in the Similans? Any thermoclines to worry about?

Ideally I would bring my gear with me, but as Diving only comprises a smaller part of my trip I can't lug everything around with me all the time as I don't have a set itinerary but plan on visiting Angkor Wat in Cambodia at some point.

I'm an experienced diver, with over 100 dives, very comfortable in the water. My last trip was in April on a Liveaboard in the Bahamas (Blackbeards). I am a low maintenance diver. :)

Thanks

Lanshark

I will also look into picking up a dive skin here in Toronto. So I should be warm enough in February with just a 1mm skin? Even in the Similans? Any thermoclines to worry about?
Lanshark

Water temperatures in the Andaman Sea are normally between 27-29 Degrees Celsius. Sometimes surface temperatures can be as "hot" as 30 Degrees Celsius but then again sometimes thermoclines and upwellings can make it as "cold" as 24 Degrees Celsius or so.

MOST divers seem to be happy enough to dive in 3mm (shortie) wetsuits here in Thailand and divers with a sizable amount of "natural" insulation are often diving in skins or even shorts and T-shirts.

Personally I'm a whimp and always freezing; even when wearing a 7 mm wetsuit with 5 mm hooded vest on top of that!!

I think the best advice I can give you is this: If you are a person that's not easily getting cold while diving you will probably be fine here with either a skin or 3 mm (shortie) wetsuit.
If on the other hand you're easily chilled you should bring at least a 3 mm full wetsuit and may consider bringing a hood or hooded vest as well.

:D

Some dive shops may have some long suits for rent. We keep a few which are normally used by skinny ladies who are most likely to get cold. If a big "well insulated" guy asks for one.... well, you can get good prices on custom made suits at Hotwave close to Chalong jetty. If I manage to get into the water at all now I will just go in shorts and tshirt.

If you're diving the Siumilans from a liveaboard, so up to 4 dives a day, a skin suit will IMO not be enough, even if you have natural insulation. I would recommend minimum shorty, maybe even full suit.

I think the skin may do it for most of your diving, worst case rent from the operator of the liveaboard when doing 3+dives a day. I routinely dive in a skin and find the temp on the Gulf side around 30c.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom