What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Do,
I changed dive shops because of the same type issues you're having. The Rescue course kept being postponed due to lack of students or not enough students. To make a long story short, I went to another shop and found I was more comfortable there than at my old shop. I signed up for the PADI Rescue course and never looked back. Today, I'm on staff as an Instructor at my new shop, all because they were willing to conduct a 3 person Rescue class. Get out there and look around, you will find some good local shops that will work with you, not around you. Both PADI and NAUI have excellent Rescue Diver courses. I would recommend either to you. My PADI rescue course was the best class I've ever done. I came out of rescue class a more competent and confident diver. As a matter of fact, I pattern my rescue classes after my original rescue course. :palmtree: Bob

Just to add my 2 cents, the certifying agency really doesn't matter that much IMHO.

It all really boils down to the instructor and the shop, and if it was me, I would probably be looking for another of both.

I wholely agree with you. My comment about the local SSI shop running a more intense Rescue class is simply a one shop issue, not to mean that PADI is less intense. One should chose a rescue class based on content, and not agency.

I can't speak for every SSI/PADI shop, but I took advanced in both. I did PADI first. There was no classroom segment and I did a total of five dives over one weekend. My one deed dive was to the bottom of a quarry - 65 feet - for about 30 seconds. My one wreck dive was swimming through a school bus at about 35-40 feet. I came away feeling that I had not been challenged and no more experienced than I was before I took the class. While I like the people at the shop and also liked the instructor, I did not feel I learned anything. As a result, I took the SSI advanced class. I had a classroom segment first. Then I spend a weekend diving (five dives) at the quarry, doing night and navigation. I learned far more in the navigation than I did in PADI. I then had four more dives, in the ocean for deep and wreck. I did two dives below 100 feet for my deep - far different feeling than the 65 feet for 30 seconds. The next day I did two dives on actual wrecks, had to orient myself, use my line, etc. I felt much more challenged and came away feeling like I had definitely improved as a diver. It is because of this great difference that I am struggling with what to do. But the imput is greatly appreciated and very helpful.

customer service seems to be a rare quality these days. if you find a shop with good service, stick with them. I'm usually willing to pay a little more if I know I can depend on them and can get good service when I really need it. plus, I hate giving money to people who really don't care if you are a paying customer or not.

Back
Top Bottom