I am having a problem finding people.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lfrd116

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I work 48 hrs. on shift 24 hrs. off and it's hard for me to get with people I know to go diving with. Either I'm working or they are. Would it be okay to visit our local quarry get to know some people that enjoy diving and are open to new divers. The people I was around in school were pretty cool and open with new divers, but how does experience divers feel about this. The dive community is open minded and willing to help I think, just wanted some opions from you guys about this. Also could learn from these more experience guys if they would let me dive with them.

You may want to have this post moved to the regional forum that fits your location.

Experienced divers are generally open to diving with others, but without you specifying where you are, it's going to be impossible for others to recognize you as a local diver, and respond.

Here's some stuff that worked for us.

Personally I have taken a special interst in taking new divers out. When buddying up or tagging along make sure that the planned dive is within your comfort zone. Diving means different things to different people. With a little involvement you will soon have some trusted buddies.

Pete

Posting in your regional forum is a good place to start. In addition, a lot of dive shops (at least where I am) organize weekly shop dives, and that's a good place to meet other new divers and make some friends and buddies.

As a new diver, I found many experienced divers are perfectly willing to do some dives with a newby with a good attitude. As a now more experienced diver myself, it is a personal pleasure for me to take new divers out . . . It's a wonderful way to be reminded of how exciting this sport was for me at the beginning, when every starfish was a complete delight.

Definitely post in the Deep Dixie forum, and if your local quarry is Alabama Blue Water Adventures in Pelham (near Birmingham), I may even manage to catch you there sometime if we can connect in the forum (or in the ScubaBoard chat).

Another good place to find people to dive with is your local dive clubs. Check to see when and where they meet and go make some friends.

Posting here with good information...time, date and place may well find you a buddy.

As for experienced divers buddying with new divers I think most of us feel like I do. If you ask to join me at the quarry or an easy local dive when I don't have a specific agenda in mind, I am always happy to have you join me as long as you act responsibly and in a safe manner. Ask when I am on an expensive offshore dive or on a more advanced dive and I will refuse. I don't mean to be rude or unfriendly but I have spent a lot of money for the trip and/or I have a specific dive plan in mind that requires my buddy to be in sync with me. Dive with me some and your likely to be invited on the next dive.
Go to your local quarry and look for a bunch of divers together, odds are they will welcome you.

Thanks for all of your help! Sorry about the location, Lincoln,AL. Blue Water is where I will be going in the future, and Florida. Just trying to keep up my skills.

a lot of dive shops (at least where I am) organize weekly shop dives, and that's a good place to meet other new divers and make some friends and buddies.
I think this is a great way to meet new divers and become more familiar with your LDS. Our Wednesday night dives are great---our last one was underwater Poker night.

Not sure where Lincoln is, however I live in Cullman and share your problem sometimes. Deep Dixie forum welcomed me and gave nice shouts when I first started posting a few weeks back. Try a post over there and I'm sure you will have the same greeting.

I'm a paramedic as well, so feel free to PM me your area in relation to Cullman - could be that we could meet up and share of fuel cost and split the ride to ABWA.

Safe diving,

Ken

**Edit** Ok, scrap the car pooling part as I just seen where you home town is, however I'm always up for a dive buddy at the park. Shoot me a PM with your contact and we'll try to work something out to get you in the water.

Back
Top Bottom