Bruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruises...what bruises? Or, what doesn't get bruised. I use to work on Liveaboards and I had bruises like crazy. Doesn't take much. Vit. C does help...also arnika (not sure of spelling) for bruising.

Yes, Arnica is high on our list for bruising remedies. Check out Arnica for more information. I got to know about its use through my dentist who would prescribe it to his patients, who were scheduled for having their wisdom teeth removed, a few days prior to the operation. He had a reputation for not leaving his patients bruised and discolored after the procedure and I was one of them. I firmly believe it had to do with his excellent skills as well as the Arnica tablets. If you are concerned about taking it, chat to your doctor. :coffee:

Steroids (i.e. prednisone) can also cause you to be prone to bruising. I was on a high dose for a long time for my lupus and I had some interesting ones. I had one in the exact shape of my dog's paw from where he stepped on my leg.

I would also have to tell the check in nurses at the doctor's office that "no, my boyfriend doesn't beat me, I do Tae Kwon Do and the prednisone makes me prone to bruising." One new nurse didn't believe me and I got to talk to a social worker. I appreciate the concern, but seriously... couldn't they write something in my chart about it.

As for diving... weight belts give me bruises even through a 7mm farmer john, and I've been off the steroids for over 3 years. I think it's just the way they sit on me. I know some people freak about weight integrated, but I go that route so I can keep diving and not have to take time off for painful bruising.

--Shannon

It gets worse with age, or if you are taking aspirin. I think it is much more common in women than in men.

Oh GREAT! Pick on the old guy!

I really have to agree with h2odragon1. If you think you are bruising easily, you really should mention it to your primary care physician. To investigate, he should request a couple of different blood coagulation tests. He should also be asking whether anyone else in your family has a history of blood disorders, whether you've been feeling tired lately, what other types of medical conditions you have, etc. As others have pointed out, there are many medications that can cause bruising.

On the other hand, it could just be some simple bumps/lumps inflicted upon entering/exiting the dive boat, donning/doffing gear, stumbling onboard a rocking boat, etc. Still, wouldn't it be nice to have the peace of mind that you've ruled out any serious medical problems?

Have fun and dive safe.

I had a drysuit leave a really neat crisp bruise around my neck across my collar bones. I realized it was the drysuit because I could make out the fine details of the underside of the neck ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom