Bruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danninella

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all Scubaboarders.

I have a question that might be stupid, but I will ask it any way.

Everytime I get home from diving I am full of bruises. I bruise easily, but anyway.
I don´t think I bump in to things to much, at least not under water.

So my question is really: Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? :confused:

Danninella- I doubt you bump into much underwater & probably not so hard anyway. The odds are that you're getting bruised on the surface. You're handling and wearing lots of heavy hard objects & once suited, pretty clumsy with all that weight on. You wouldn't notice at the time because you're too focused & having too much fun.

Anyway, I see a nascent defense to an assault charge. Hit her? No way. She got all those bruises diving. Sure beats the old walked into a door excuse. {;-)

I'm the same - I bruise like a peach. The most common ones are right on top of my hip bones where my weight belt sits.

It gets worse with age, or if you are taking aspirin. I think it is much more common in women than in men.

I usually get bruises on my thighs from the ladder. If you are taking aspirin, ibuprofen or similar drugs you will bruise more easily. Don't know what to tell you about avoiding it. Maybe try adding Vitamin C.

Do you dive from a boat, or from shore? I always come back from boat dives covered with bruises. Especially if the seas were the least bit choppy, which leaves my shins and knees full of bruises from the ladder. My hands are usually full of little cuts and scrapes, too, from bashing them against heavy metal objects when the skin is soft from being wet.
We just dove yesterday (our first Lake Michigan dive of the season, yay!), and I have this huge bruise at the base of my thumb that I don't remember getting. I'm guessing it's either glove squeeze or the ladder; climbing it was like riding a bucking bronco.
Your bruises are unlikely to be from bumping things underwater. They are probably from gear handling or boat bumps. If you dive dry, they could be drysuit squeeze. I wish I had any prevention tips (I'd be using them myself!) but for treatment, arnica ointment is helpful.

Good to hear that I am not the only one then.
As you say donFransisco, we can just hope no one thinks my boyfriend is hitting me :)

I mostly do shore dives and as all of you say I guess it is easy to get bruises from all the heavy gear and walking around being clumsy... I actually never thought about it being possible to get bruised from the dry suit sqeezing.
I mostly get bruises on my hips, my wrists and shoulders.

yup.... dive boat bruises. I came back from a liveaboard a few years ago and the first thing they said at our LDS is "where are all the bruises, you gotta have bruises!" LOL I didn't realize that it happened to everyone. I always get them on my legs from the ladder. Also my upper arms seem to get them for a reason I have yet to figure out. My husband even comes home with mystery bruises here and there... just part of diving! :D

This could be a health concern.
Go to your Dr. and let him/her know about this bruising easily. Ask for a coagulation profile with bleeding time.
As was stated earlier, if you are taking medicine, or even some over-the-counter meds, this can poteniate your bruising.

Bruises...what bruises? Or, what doesn't get bruised. I use to work on Liveaboards and I had bruises like crazy. Doesn't take much. Vit. C does help...also arnika (not sure of spelling) for bruising.

Back
Top Bottom