Question Mystery bruise--stung by reef creature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Trilobite

Trilobite

Contributor
Reaction score
A few months ago I snorkeled the reefs in the coral triangle for several days, specifically Kimbe bay off the island of New Britain, which is northeast of the island of New Guinea. I certainly understand that you should not touch the reefs or corals in any way, since it can damage them and there are a host of creatures that might sting or injure you. So far as I know I was successful, and I did not touch anything and only had a few minor stings from small comb jellies floating free in the water. So I was quite surprised to discover a few days after I stopped snorkeling a large circular bruise on my inner thigh which had a small red dot (apparently a scab) in the middle of it. The bruise actually intensified over the next several days and did not begin to fade until about two weeks later. I attach a photo of what it looked like. In addition to the main circular bruise with the red dot, you can see that there was also some bruising outside the circle. It was not painful or sore, and I do not recall feeling anything painful or unusual in that area when snorkeling.

So my question is does this look familiar to anyone and/or does anyone know what might have caused it? I was wearing a rash suit at the time, so whatever got me penetrated the suit.

Thanks,
Jim
202306070114P1030426.jpg

I have a bruise on a forearm that looks like yours, and I have not been diving. I sometimes get bruises like this when I don't even realize I collided with something. I personally would not worry unless it gets worse/painful.

A few months ago I snorkeled the reefs in the coral triangle for several days, specifically Kimbe bay off the island of New Britain, which is northeast of the island of New Guinea. I certainly understand that you should not touch the reefs or corals in any way, since it can damage them and there are a host of creatures that might sting or injure you. So far as I know I was successful, and I did not touch anything and only had a few minor stings from small comb jellies floating free in the water. So I was quite surprised to discover a few days after I stopped snorkeling a large circular bruise on my inner thigh which had a small red dot (apparently a scab) in the middle of it. The bruise actually intensified over the next several days and did not begin to fade until about two weeks later. I attach a photo of what it looked like. In addition to the main circular bruise with the red dot, you can see that there was also some bruising outside the circle. It was not painful or sore, and I do not recall feeling anything painful or unusual in that area when snorkeling.

So my question is does this look familiar to anyone and/or does anyone know what might have caused it? I was wearing a rash suit at the time, so whatever got me penetrated the suit.

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,

If you noticed it a few days after you had been in the water, is it possible that this happened outside the marine environment? Has it ever happened before, or have you noticed any unusual or unexplained bruising since?

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Jim,

If you noticed it a few days after you had been in the water, is it possible that this happened outside the marine environment? Has it ever happened before, or have you noticed any unusual or unexplained bruising since?

Best regards,
DDM
Thanks for your interest. Possibly not marine, but seems unlikely. Think I would have felt something if it happened out of the water. Never had anything remotely like it before or since.

The main thing pointing to a sting is the small red dot/scab in the center of the circular discoloration. I can't imagine that coming from a random bruise.

Back
Top Bottom