Boxers or Briefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AUTiger

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm getting used to my new TLS350 trilam drysuit, my first. Its working pretty well. I've gone from 22 lbs weight (7/5 wetsuit with hooded vest) to 32 lbs with my 200g undergarments. I've unwillingly worked my way up the weight scale, since I hate to dive with extra lead, wet or dry. Still, you've gotta have it if you can't stay down without at least a little air in the suit to alleviate squeeze.

My remaining issue is getting used to the squeeze, particularly in the crotch. So far, I've always been wearing loose boxers under my undergarments. I usually end up getting vacuum packed with my junk in an uncomfortable position. The vacuum packed suit doesn't allow me to shift things around.

This weekend, I'm going to try some spandex running shorts or swimsuit. Hopefully I can get things positioned and then squeeze the air out.

How does this compare to your experiences?

A few weeks ago, somebody was talking on one of the other websites about how for your first ten dives you'll be questioning why you spent so much money on a dry suit and then for the next ten dives you'll start appreciating it, until you get to the point where you can't imagine diving without it. I'm still in that first phase. I feel like my movement is more restricted than in my wetsuit. I think mostly it comes from the tactile sensation of the squeeze of the suit and not because I am actually restricted. The suit is definitely cut loose enough that I have a full range of movement.

Thanks for your advice.

David

If it squeeze, you dont have enough air in it, basically...
More squeeze also means youll have less movement..

I always wear boxers btw, diving or not.

I wear cheapo WalMart compression shorts followed by a SmartWool base layer and then my Bare CT200. I never have had a problem with crotch squeeze luckily. I like to keep my boys tucked away while diving!

I have over 40 drysuit dives now after moving to my new drysuit this past March. I'm now in the love it and can't imagine diving without it phase. It is actually easier and faster to get into my drysuit than other folks getting into their wetsuits, and I'm alot more comfortable after the dive as well. You get used to the squeeze. Actually, it becomes a really nice way to gauge how much air you how in the suit. It helps me gauge and control buoyancy. I don't use my drysuit alone for buoyancy. Tried it once and didn't like it at all. I use a combination of some air in the drysuit and some in my wing.

I find that diving with the spandex type short keeps everything packaged nicely in place. Add a little more air and roll onto your back so the air bubble provides some relief. Works for me, give it a try and let me know.

David,

It sounds like your undergarment is really heavy. What are you diving? It seems that too much air is getting trapped in it, hense needing the extra weight.

My drysuit is a DUI TLS350. The undergarment is a DUI Thinsulate 200g. It is medium weight.

My weight lead went up 8-10 pounds. In my reading, this doesn't seem too atypical. Is it?

I just don't want to go up more than necessary. Using some spandex shorts will probably allow me to use a little less air (and thus lead) once I get more experience.

David,

It sounds like your undergarment is really heavy. What are you diving? It seems that too much air is getting trapped in it, hense needing the extra weight.

i have a trilam, havent dove it more than 15 times, i found that where i live it only gets cold enough to wear the drysuit about 2 months, and those 2 months im usually very busy with school, so im back wet again since it took so mych effort to get it outta the closet. However i had the same problem, where the boys were gettin squeezed, so i took a trip to Dicks Sporting Goods (no pun intended) and bought under armor, i used that and it keptt them in placew nad eliminated the squeeze and the adjustment problems, but it sounds like you may need to use a little more air. And as you get more experienced you can ditch some weight and use less air :)

Good luck,

Ps:: anyone here still dive wet, if so, what suits and did you get them off hte internet

I just tilt my feet up a bit and then it relieves the pressure. You'll get the hang of it.

commando......

add air in the suit to add relief!...nothing worse than a nut squeeze.

so commando with a wicking layer then my xeotherm 250 undies...under my CD 4 pro dry neo suit...

Spandex compression shorts.

Basically "compress" everything so nothing can move around and get into an uncomfortable spot.

Back
Top Bottom