question about stroke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
I think you mean:

while(1) {
lather();
rinse();
repeat();
}

Yeah, I forgot i=1. :wink:

So, I show up at the dive site with my old Dacor gear diving wet and al80, I'm a stroke. I show up with my dry suit and doubles, I'm not so stroke but still a stroke since I'm not diving Halcyon with a 7' hose? Most of our local DIR divers are pretty cool divers and PADI instructors to boot! A few bad apples...well you know the rest!

Land Locked:
So, I show up at the dive site with my old Dacor gear diving wet and al80, I'm a stroke. I show up with my dry suit and doubles, I'm not so stroke but still a stroke since I'm not diving Halcyon with a 7' hose? Most of our local DIR divers are pretty cool divers and PADI instructors to boot! A few bad apples...well you know the rest!

Well, I'm letting my scooter soak and don't have anything better to do...

The real point in george's article is here:

If you see something that is a complete mess, makes no sense, is less than optimal, or is designed to accommodate some phobia while ignoring all else, you are dealing with a stroke. If the stroke is pontificating about how he can "handle" deep air diving, or obsessing about depth, or appears to be trying to compensate for internal fears, this is an obvious stroke and you merely avoid them.

Someone diving an Al80 with a jacket BC, split fins and an air integrated computer isn't necessarily a stroke. There's nothing about that gear configuration that is inherently a 'complete mess'. It'll work fine for recreational diving. If the diver is safe, practices good gas management, can maintain their buoyancy, dives within their limits and is a good buddy, they are not going to be a stroke. Its when the diver has an unsafe attitude or their gear configuration is driven by phobias, then you've got a stroke.

Even diving a rebreather doesn't make you inherently a stroke. GI3 has given props publically to barney's AUE group before because he respects what they're doing and they've got their own protocols and their own system even though they use CCR rebreathers. The point is that they took some time to sit down and think it all through and their approach to diving isn't all cowboy...

kalidor's8:
A friend of mine was talking to some ppl today and they were checking out his gear. They called him a stroke and neither of us knew what that meant and I am thinking it is bad since it was said with a smirk.
What if they'd called him a "flat"? How about a "resnick"? Would it be different if they called him a "pelican"?

The specific word used to disparage others doesn't matter a plug nickel. A jerk is a jerk regardless of what particular dialect he elects to use. It makes no difference if I call you "daft fob", "stupid idiot", "lamer", "baka gaijin", or whatever else. It's not the definition so much as the attitude.
kalidor's8:
Can anyone tell me so I will know if we should be upset or just blow them off?
You ought not get upset, as that does nothing for you. Don't be the type of person who gets all bent out of shape when a fool insults you -- it's not good for you, and getting agitated at the wrong time might even cause you to overlook something before a dive. (It's happened before.)

If you *do* have something dangerously off with your gear, you'll notice it in your pre-dive checks. If it's merely something that could be done better, talking to other divers will eventually enlighten you. Almost all thinking divers make changes here and there, so it's certainly likely that you'll find better ways to do some things, but the simple fact is, you're not likely to die in the meantime unless you're *way* out of your training (like diving caves when you haven't even learned to lay a line or do even basic gas planning).

So, just ignore the idiots around you, but remember, being an idiot does not mean they might not know a heckuva lot about diving -- they just never learned how to be nice so people will listen. You may be able to learn something from them if you want to try to get past the pricky shell, or you can just find nicer people to learn from. (Of course, some of them will be rotten to the core, but that's what you get when you have humans involved. :biggrin:)

lamont:
pot.
kettle.
black.

If by that you are implying I have an attitude you may be right. My attitude is that I have no tolerance of those who feel superior because they believe they have the one and only correct answer to whatever and criticize those who don't follow their dogma.
If the ones who called the OP a stroke were DIR or not is irrelevant to me. My view applies to any subject not just diving.

captain:
If by that you are implying I have an attitude you may be right. My attitude is that I have no tolerance of those who feel superior because they believe they have the one and only correct answer to whatever and criticize those who don't follow their dogma.
If the ones who called the OP a stroke were DIR or not is irrelevant to me. My view applies to any subject not just diving.

And you need to repeatedly blast that attitude all over scubaboard, whenever a report comes in worldwide of anyone ever being called a 'stroke' you're there to swoop in and defend all that is right and just. What would we ever do without you?

Thank you all so much for the help! No it would not matter so much if they did call us something else, I have just never heard the term before and since it was diving related I figured I would ask.
We both use the same set up more or less for our gear and make more than sure we do predive checks on everything. All of our diving is planned before hand and we do good gas managment.
I think these guys were just tooting thier own horns or something. The thing that pisses me off are those that just want to push thier views on everyone else and I was sure that was what these guys were trying to do without telling us anything about what we should change.
I do try to listen to other divers and get any feedback I can from them to try and make myself a better diver, and learn all I can. I love this sport and will stay with it as long as I can :p

I wouldn't sweat it. If your gear is squared away (clipped off, appropriately fitted, no outright dangers to yourself or others) for however you want to dive, you've got a plan with your buddies, are aware of your gas management, and are committed to a) having fun, and b) becoming a better diver, then I don't think anyone has a right to call you a stroke.

Especially not to your face, that's just being an ********. Some people just have the inherent need to put themselves up by putting others down. Don't worry about them. If they don't want to dive with you, that's their perogative. They miss out, and you wouldn't have wanted to buddy up with them anyways.

Let's not drag DIR into this, it's entirely unnecessary. There's jerks in every group.

Back
Top Bottom