Driving from Cairns to Sydney what should I not miss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Rick:
I've got yer back covered, bro.

What kind of excuse were you thinking of? Medical? work? Let me know, tell me what my name will be, and what the "story" is and I'll email her right away!

:D
Well we could change you to Dr Rick, maybe an illness that can only be cured by saltwater in the southern hemisphere. I'm sure Sask Health will cover the costs.

Greetings All on a very wet ANZAC DAY. My son Luke used to work for the Mike Ball dive shop, Townsville, which ran 3 day liveaboard trips out of Townsville to the Yongala. Pro Dive in Townsville also do Yongala trips.

Hey. Sorry I missed the chance to contribute to your thread. Looks like we'll be on the same dive boat. I was on the Nimrod Explorer 3.5 years ago, and LOVED it, so I'm going back with my girlfriend. See you there!
We'll be doing the Yongala from Magnetic Island on May 26 or 27 before we head to Cairns to get on board.

Just a thought, we did this trip last year. Stayed in Cairns for two weeks diving sightseeing then flew from Cairns to Brisbane and then drove from there to Sydney. Skips a lot of nothing and allows you to spend a bit more time in Hunter Valley/Byron Bay/Blue Mountains all of which were great. Annoyed at myself for not diving in Byron Bay but didn't know any better.

Second Townsville as being a nicer place than Cairns - Palm Cove was really nice to hang out for a week, but pricey.

roegenwalder:
Hey. Sorry I missed the chance to contribute to your thread. Looks like we'll be on the same dive boat. I was on the Nimrod Explorer 3.5 years ago, and LOVED it, so I'm going back with my girlfriend. See you there!
We'll be doing the Yongala from Magnetic Island on May 26 or 27 before we head to Cairns to get on board.
Sounds great, I look forward to meeting you both. It's nearing time to start thinking about what to take, i leave in 11 day and that will pass quickly. The ice finally came off our local dive lake here so I am hoping to get a couple of dives in on Saturday brrr I need to buy a drysuit.

Darnold9999:
Just a thought, we did this trip last year. Stayed in Cairns for two weeks diving sightseeing then flew from Cairns to Brisbane and then drove from there to Sydney. Skips a lot of nothing and allows you to spend a bit more time in Hunter Valley/Byron Bay/Blue Mountains all of which were great. Annoyed at myself for not diving in Byron Bay but didn't know any better.

Second Townsville as being a nicer place than Cairns - Palm Cove was really nice to hang out for a week, but pricey.
Turns out because of work I will be doing just that. Booking that flight right now.

Byron Bay is Outstanding !!!

I lived there for 3 years, dived every weekend out at Julian Rocks, you can have the Barrier Reef and Cairns, it is not a patch in Byron Bay. Truly Gods Country !!

Cheers
Chriso

Hey, Sask, we will be with you on the Nimrod Explorer on May 29. We did the shorter itinerary in 2005 and are really looking forward to a week this time. It will be me, my husband mntdiver, another friend and her niece.

And, roegenwalder, we will be in Townsville and plan to dive with Yongala Dive on May 27. How fun to be travelling to the other side of the world and get to dive with other Scubaboarders!

After the Nimrod we are spending 3 days in the Cape Tribulation/Daintree area, and then down to Sydney for 4 days. Initially we had just planned on sight-seeing there, but I am now thinking we might want to dive on Saturday the 9th of June... I had not thought about diving in Sydney before so I am scrambling to find information before we leave tomorrow night!

See you in Cairns!

Jennifer

Well, no diving on the Yongala the 26th or 27th due to conditions... winds 20-25 knots and they could not go out :-(.

We spent our time in Townsville touring the Reef HQ aquarium and took a ferry to Magnetic Island today. It was a great day, we saw a koala, rock wallabies and a possum... fun to tour the island and practice driving on the left!

We look forward to the Coral Sea next week!

Jennifer

bummer jennifer but good to see you are doing almost as nice pleasant things with your time.... and remember, we always need pics :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom