Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AzAtty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yesterday someone was trying to sell us on building or buying into a hotel in Bocas, Panama. "Panama" doesn't exactly conjure up images of great vacationing. Has anyone here had experience with travel to Panama?

I spent three weeks (end of Dec. and through Jan) all over Panama and really enjoyed it. There is so much to do and we only barely scratched the surface.
We dove Portobello and snorkeled all around Contadora and Isla Iguana.

Here's some pics from our trip

i523291_16.JPG

i523290_7.JPG

i523289_5.JPG

i523287_4.JPG

i523286_3.JPG

i523285_2.JPG

i523346_36.JPG
i523345_35.JPG
i523344_34.JPG
i523343_33.JPG
i523342_32.JPG
i523341_31.JPG
i523340_30.JPG
i523339_28.JPG
i523338_27.JPG

How expensive was the diving and the lodging there? I have toyed with going there but would like to get more information first. Did you do the Atlantic or Pacific side? Thanks!

Lodging was incredibly cheap depending on where you were. Luckilly we stayed with his dad outside of Panama City, but when we weren't in driving distance, we easily found NICE rooms for 20-45 bucks per night. However, in some of the resort places like Contadora, the rooms get a bit more pricey of course.

Diving ran about $60 for a two tank dive. Though if the viz was down, they gladly let us get only a one tank dive. We only were able to dive in Portobello on the Atlantic side with viz around 30-35ft. We did snorkel a bunch though which was great. Saw tons of stuff.

If you want to know more about Panama, talk to my buddy who is a native. His screen name is Cyclical on here.

If interested in the Pacific Side, Recommend Santa Catalina, use Scuba Coiba, go to Isla Coiba, the vast protected area around it. Cheap. Very much off the beaten path. See May 2007 Undercurrent cover story for full report. There was an earlier report in Undercurrent in early 2006. Pacific side better diving. Coiba loaded with big fish. Not so good, however, for beginning divers.

Back
Top Bottom