Lessons learned the hard way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No matter how good your mask is, you [red]cannot[/red] see every underwater tree limb before you bonk your head on it.

WTG Cher......I've always wanted to do that! haha But with my luck I would be in jail.
Mario.....I like your 3rd one!

- Even though you have luggage locks...your luggage my not arrive with a zipper pull.

- Put all liquids(shampoo, lotions, and such) in a ziplock bag before packing.

Ldreamin :D

Mike is right

tree limbs are invisible

Don't think your keys are safe because you put them in your tankini top with a wet suit over...even if you are well how should I say this...ah heck...well endowed is good enough.

Just because your brother is your buddy don't think you can't get lost.

I can relate to the remember to change your snorkel to reg, I did the same manuever in my classes. First water to enter you know about it.

Clearing your mask is mind over matter...I had a hard time with this one, but not now. I don't even think about it. Just do it.

Bottoms Up....Bubbles Up!!!!
Cindy

Cindy,

Shoe strings come in handy for lots of things. I have an extra car & house key on a shoe string tied with a square knot. I slip it over my head and have never had any problems. It's a good idea to rinse the salt water off before sliping it in the lock. A key pocket in your wet suit is also effective, although not as easy to use.

Learn natural navigation techniques and don't rely on your buddy to navigate. You'll still get turned around from time to time.

WWW™

Never ASSume that the boat crew has filled your tank. You actually have to LOOK at your gauge before you hurriedly abort a dive after only 20 minutes because you finally looked and the digital gizmo showed 250 psi!
Filed under: Bonehead moves that didn't kill me.

Neil

When you are doing your first "divemaster in training" open water class, and the instructor asks you to please go and tie the dive float off, remember to put your mask ON your face instead of leaving it hanging around your neck, when you dive under the water, with eyes wide open. This action can (and will) result in losing one or more contact lens, causing you to come up out of the water swearing like a sailor and basically making you look VERY "un-cool" to the student divers.

As much as we try,it's hard to look cool in rubber..heheheh.
Never dive with a previously bent diver who is proud and excited about how many hours they spent in the chamber....
Cheers Ears,
You know who...
The Gasman

Hi AmysOnline,

1. Don't put anything on your luggage that identifies it as scuba gear.

2. If the ticketing agent asks if you have any scuba gear, say, "What's scuba?"

3. Invest in a good luggage lock.

4. Carry critical gear on board, such as your reg, prescription masks, etc., as well as one day's change of clothes & toiletries.

5. Take things you can discard/leave after use, like paperback books, old T-shirts & shorts, and motel/hotel soaps, shampoos & conditioners.

6. Make sure you bring an adequate supply of needed medications, as well as the brand names of those drugs in any foreign countries you are traveling to (I can help you with this).

7. Do not dive without a dive accident policy. If it's an expensive trip, a policy with trip cancellation/interruption coverage, like DAN Preferred, is wise.

8. Bring along basic first aid & save-a-dive kits.

9. With foreign travel, visit the CDC & State Department websites far enough in advance to insure you are prepared for possible disease exposure, have proper documentation & are aware of any travel advisories.

10. Use the buddy check before entering the water.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Never assume that the DM who is assisting you Demo the buddy check has not turned your air off before you demonstrate that giant stride!

Turn your cell phone off before zipping inside your drysuit, it gets rather annoying at 70'! A blank stare with a I dunno expression will keep your buddy guessing forever!!

Relief zippers work much better done up prior to entry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom