Charter Prices Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the increase in charter costs are due to the upgrade costs that the operators experienced last year. I know of some operators that still have upgrades to do this year just to stay in business. We are still lucky here in Ontario that charter costs are not 80.00 per day as in some other locations.

TTFN

Fuel has gone up, but insurance is the Killer this year. It more than doubled this year.
But a lot of operaters don't have insurance. Some don't buy it at all, and some don't read the fine print, which says they must have a Licenced Master on board, which almost all don't have. So a lot of divers are going out and putting there life in someones hands that is not qualfied or insured. It's up to the diver to check.

I was wondering if the Charter Associations of each diving area require proof of compliance before membership is given?

If so it is a good way to ensure that all sanctioned operators are following the rules. If not, maybe the Associations could look into it.

As a regular diver it is easier to look up charter operators on the Asasociation websites and knowing that all I see are up to standard would make me more confident.....Just a thought.

13 days till Dom Rep.......

Hello

The Charter association in Brockville has no more power than you or I, they have there annual meetings, make suggestions but after words they all go back to there own rules. If government officials inspected the boats in the Brockville area, I would guess from being on all of them that half of them would be but shut down from none compliance just like what happened in Toby. I don't think there is one operator who has a limited Masters based on there boats length and tonnage of over five tons operating out of there but Hay! I'm hope full the government will slam down on all of them shortly for every ones safety. The week end warriors have got to go. Dive boat operators packing there house boats up to and over the max load capacity seems like a dangerous way to make seasonal fast cash.

Yikes!

I was hoping that area was better than that!
I dove with a couple of them and they seemed quite confident in their ability to pass the inspections. Then again I do not know what is required, so I can only smile and nod at their claims.

Hasn't the Government already inspected this area?...I have heard from the locals that they all passed with flying colors!

Do you have any input on the good and ugly of that area, I love the St. Lawrence but don't want a cruddy time out.

Thanks
MM

What Charter Associations?
Any associations that claim to represent the dive charter boats with few exceptions are invariably made up of dive boat owners. The associations are simply their way of appearing legitimate and concerned but the association is really there for themselves. No diving reps are at the meetings; there is no complaint or discipline process.

Let me make perfectly clear that there are lots of good, ethical, concerned boat operators out there!! Generally they don't need an association other than for a little extra exposure. They get lots of business from the diving community and stores because their operations are great! I'm simply pointing out that being a member of an association does NOT necessarily mean eveything is OK.

You're right - divers are on their own! We have the same problem as a dive store but it's even more serious because if we use a boat and there's a problem, we too could be faulted. We try to use established and proven dive boats but that's hard since they change owners, operators and captains regularly (like a couple of times every season). Besides, the numbers available are dwindling.
I've seldom seen it happen but you could simply ASK if they have insurance. Most divers calling about a boat charter ask the rate, the location and the dive sites available. No one asks if the boat is insured or even if the boat is any good! In our case, before the money goes out the signed letter comes in with their assurance that they are insured and meet all applicable government regulations for the operation of a commercial charter boat service. Now if they have a problem we have taken reasonable steps to protect our clients. The good operators will gladly produce the documentation and you're decision is made!

Be careful what you wish for! If the boats are all inspected and required to come up to standards, and they should be, several will stop working. There simply is not enough money in this service to cover the extra costs. Certainly not for the cheap, small operations. As well, the others will pass on the costs to the divers as they should.
In both cases, less boats and higher costs, the fees will rise.
Generally you may find that the better operators already charge a few dollars more (if they don't they should begin - they're worth it!).

This entire thread started with the question of rising costs and earlier I commented on the cheap rates we have here.
Say good-bye!!

Alrighty then...Thanks for the insight.
I am now shopping for a zodiac.

Thanks, I will look them up.

Hopefully nobody will go on rant about Zodiak Divers.....

Hey I am not french....just like da zodiak - da Pepsi and May West.....okay C'est Bon

SneakyB'tard once bubbled...
I was wondering if the Charter Associations of each diving area require proof of compliance before membership is given?

If so it is a good way to ensure that all sanctioned operators are following the rules. If not, maybe the Associations could look into it.

As a regular diver it is easier to look up charter operators on the Asasociation websites and knowing that all I see are up to standard would make me more confident.....Just a thought.

13 days till Dom Rep.......
The one in Kingston doesn't. I'm the only one with a Masters certificate here. But I don't belong to it, for that reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom