Rope or No Rope

Do you prefer a rope leading to the bottom or to "sink"?

• Rope (a.k.a. Line)

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • "Sink"

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Depends on situation...

Votes: 38 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I have ever used a sink on a dive...maybe to wash my hands afterwords... :D

Agree with the folks above....descent technique depends on a lot of things....

DBailey:
As Gary said, it depends.

If the line is leading to something that will be more difficult to find otherwise (current, viz), then yes, I'll use the line either with physical contact or visual contact.

Otherwise, a free descent is my preference.

Bump...reword the survey....:D

I don't really care as long as I get to get wet. :wink: Lines are fine as long as they are not crowded.

Lines have their functions, just as everyone has already stated. They're "roads" leading to destinations. They make great "meeting places" at the end of a dive. They can be used as references to gauge ascent/descent rates. And in some locations, hanging onto one can keep you from winding up in unexpected locations (I dive in the Gulf of Mexico, where the currents are often ripping. Let go of the line on the way down and next port of call may be the coast of Louisiana!) Therefore, "free" descents like the standard drift dive off Cozumel can be an unexpected delight. Drop "straight" down? Just go with the flow? During those dives, I'm like a kid in a candy store. Wheeee!
So, like everyone is saying, it simply depends.

That's my biggest gripe with lines: I hate doing safety stops and getting swarmed by other divers. Crap... If you're at 18' instead of exactly 15', I'm not convinced that it makes a hell of a lot of difference, but man, people can get pretty grabby, if they happen to think that you're in their way.

That's why I carry my own (I routinely carry 20 feet of line on my safety tube in a pocket.) Crowded and conditions make hovering difficult? I deploy my own. Still won't help in heavy current, though. That's why I like boats that supply multiple hang lines. It avoids the traffic jams on the mooring line.

While I'm sometimes navigationally challenged, I've never had any trouble finding the bottom, even without a guideline to point the way. :banana:

Seriously, the only time I find a descent line useful is when I'm trying to get to a specific spot, such as a descent onto a wreck when diving from a moored or anchored boat.

If I can see the bottom and it is in the 80-100 fsw range, it's head-down and...whiz-bang onto the sand. A last moment roll up-right and a touch of gas in the BC makes for a stand-up landing! :D

If it is deep, dark, and mysterious...a descent line to the hook makes much more sense, along with a slower descent! :D

Fish_Whisperer:
That's my biggest gripe with lines: I hate doing safety stops and getting swarmed by other divers. Crap... If you're at 18' instead of exactly 15', I'm not convinced that it makes a hell of a lot of difference, but man, people can get pretty grabby, if they happen to think that you're in their way.

Then hold on to THEM...:D

I use a line whenever it is available. Just a safety thing for me. Why not use it if it is there? Since most of my dives are on my boat anyway I always use the anchor line since I make sure of my set on the anchors.

Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom