Taking my Pets to Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnTalbot

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi, havent found anything in the searches on this, but am moving from Maritime Canada to Utila in a couple of weeks, and bringing my two cats with me. Any tips/feeback on anyone thats done this or people you know that have would be appreciated.

Should be ok till we get to SPS, anyone know if Atlantic Airlines takes pets on the domestic Honduras flights? It was suggested that we take a taxi from SPS to La Ceiba, anyone have thoughts on that?

Also any tips on moving stuff you cant fit within your luggage allowance would help, got about 70-100lbs of stuff i'd like to freight down after i arrive.

Thanks

Sedate the cats on acepromazine and bring them in soft cat carriers as carry-ons. I have read incidents where pets were checked in and either were lost for good or had passed away somehow during the flight in the cargo hold. Other than that, I hope there is no quarantine in Honduras for your pets (as in Hawaii). Good luck.

Hi

I live in Utila as well, You should be abl to get your cats on the flight if not you can take a bus from SPS to Le Ceiba then get the ferry to Utila.

Look into shipping companies for the rest of you things lots of boats go to Porta Cortez then it is easy to get them here, we have a boat that goes there every week from Utila.

Why are you moving here ?

Scuba65 has a good point, but im coming for the excellent SCAUBA training, laid back island life, and my savings will go farther than Fla, CA or South Pacific.

Another thought....cats do not normally get heartworms....BUT I have heard of a few rare cases here in the states....since mosquitos are abundant there you may want to check with your vet and see if he recommends anything. Our favorite pooch "Poncho" at CoCo View is undergoing treatment now for heartworms. Hopefully in a few weeks he will be clear of heartworms and on the prevenative. Good luck with your move.

Hi

One thing that I would suggest is that you make sure that your animals have all the necessary shots and that you have spare medicine for them as there is not a vet on Utila, to take them to a vet you would have to go to the mainland.

Look forward to meeting you when you get here.

Good tips, all of you, thanks. In case anyone's looking to bring cats to Honduras, here's what i had to go through in paperwork. Like DeepBlue said, they needed their shots, a certificate saying so, which had to be notarized, then sent to the Honduran embassy for Foreign Affairs to approve and write and stamp an approval letter at 85$US each cat.

Be nice to see you also DeepBlueDivers when i get there, i'm sure you know whats what on Utila, i'll try not to bury you in questions. :) lol

I agree with FL diver about sedating the cats. It will be a whole lot less stress on them. Your vet should be happy to provide you with something and it's not expensive at all. Enjoy your new home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom