Logging, OW vs pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
even sometimes dives that never took place because the boat canceled out or conditions were too bad; I only count those dives that are "real" dives.

Logging the aborted ones is a very good idea.

I've had some pool dives that I have logged for what was learned, like a weight check, or dive shop pool gear check but did not increment my count.

Pete

lamont:
I've had shorter dives that were intense enough learning experiences that I've counted them as logged dives...

Same here, but I still wouldn't include pool dives in my log book - although I don't think thats what you were trying to say :)

Some of those really deep pools and aquariums would be exceptions to the rules as far as I'm concerned though :D

I log my training dives but I don't give them a log number. This way I have a record of all of my training dives (this can be very important for a Public Safety Diver) but I don't artificially inflate my number of dives.

Lot of good comments. Breadth of Experience and personal in-water observation/interaction with a diver is what I look for. One should be able to talk the talk AND walk the walk. One should feel free to log whatever they wish.....when was the last time you looked through someone else's log book? Probably for cert purposes only. OR, when was the last time someone wanted to peruse your log book?

Last time I threw a log book party, no one showed up.

Regards,

Rick Inman:
Agree somewhat about card collectors. However, your statement on "rescue" is too blanket.

I know a diver with hundreds of dives who couldn't rescue me out of an inflatable kiddie pool. He has diving experience, and no card.

I know a "rescue certified" diver with hundreds of dives who goes all gooey if anything out of the norm happens. He has lots of experience, and the card.

I know a diver with less than fifty dives, rescue certified, who has his act together, and I would trust my life to him in a rescue situation. He has little diving experience, plus the card.

Point is, I think your statement is too generalized. It's more about the person than it is about "experience' or the card.

You're right... I was generalizing...

Ok, what about the dive in the YMCA pool overtaken by algae with water bugs descending with you. Close enough to open water to log?:D
I actually log my freedives in a separate log of course.

wardric:
Hello fellow divers,

i have a question/poll for all of you, especially the more experienced, but opened to all.

Do you think that only open water dives should be logged or that some pool dives could be included.

personnaly, i have only logged open water dives including, lakes, sea, rivers, cenotes (caves), quarries, etc. But as a divemaster student and PADI divemaster afterwards, i did a lot of dives in pools during scuba classes. Logging those dives never crossed my mind until a fellow divemaster said to me he did this at multiple occasions. His opinion was that you log everytime you breathe compressed air. Of course, i myself take notes of these activities (diving classes) but not in my logbook and i dont count them as actual dives.

What is your opinion?

p.s., I personnaly think a logbook is a personnal thing and that people can write whatever they want in it but i wonder what is considered the usual practice by a lot of divers of different agencies

Pool dives are not dives.

I do log them though, but not in my scuba log. I keep a DM log so I can prove experience DMing and keep track of what the shop owes me. :)

R..

IMO, it depends. Having never visited one of the interesting protected diving areas, I think I would log an aquarium or silo dive the first time or two; they're still new experiences then. However, I don't think I would log it after the first couple unless there was a specific reason for going and doing something I had not on a previous dive. For instance, different gas mixes with a silo dive.

It's your log though. There are people who will make 8-10 "to 20 feet for 20 minutes" dives and log each, even though they just sat on the bottom. This is one reason why I don't consider logs by themselves a good indicator of dive ability.

I agree with Rick M. I don't think pool sessions "count". I record them so I know when I tried out a new piece of equipment or reviewed skills with my son. Same with my OW sessions for my rescue class, I didn't "count" them as dives but recorded them for experience. When I dive Epcot, it will not be a "counter" but will be recorded as it will be different.

I say it is better to log everything but only count those dives that meet the specs of your training agency as to a "dive."

I think instructors should log teaching dives as teaching dives.
Flight instructors have to have a certain number of looged teaching hours to keep their ratings current. The same idea (not the additional regulation) applies to diving. An instructor must instruct to stay current.

Of course, if you are anal enough to have everything logged and split out into categories with counts of dives, training dives, pool practice dives etc. then when you show your log book people will notice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom