Abalone Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZKY:
I'm gonna let all you guys in on a few things I found out over the few years I've been doing this.
A former state freediving champion told me all the 10's he's found were on rocks that were surrounded by sand. The reason for this is that during times of rough conditions the sand works to remove parasitic worms off the abs shell enabling the ab to continue to grow continuously. Abs that live in very rocky areas that are protected generally will have more parasites in the shell which creates those little holes. The ab then expends all it's energy to thickening and rebuilding the shell and the outer dimension ceases to expand. That's not to say that you cannot find a hog in rocky areas, but percentage wise this is true. How many times have you dove a particular area and found that say 8 1/2" is about the biggest one in that area even after hours of diving?

Another tip (from me) is to invest in a pair of long blade freediving fins. If you are going to take this ab/freediving stuff seriously and want the ultimate in performance you need to get freediving fins. I own a pair of Picasso Black Team full foot fins and I wear them with 5 mm neoprene socks. I will not go back to regular fins for freediving.
The absolute worst fins for freediving are split fins of any brand. They may work OK for some people for scuba, but in my opinion and the opinion of 99.9% of the freediving community, split fins have no place in freediving.

The third thing is that instead of an ab float. get a boogie board and use that. I used to use a tube but I speared alot of fish in combination with ab diving and the fish spines popped holes in the tube. A boogie board can't get popped. What I did was took 6 stainless threaded eyes and drilled holes through the board along the outer edge. Two at the front corners, two at the center edges, and two at the rear corners then bolted the eyes through the board with big fender washers (with the eyes on top). I then took one continuous lenth of bungee about 30 feet long and wove a web from eye to eye, back and forth, across the top of the boogie board knotting the bungee at every intersection. With this, I could stuff all my gear under the bungee web on top of the board including spear gun, ab tools, otter box with licence, big lingcod. For the abs all I have to do is just place them on top of the board and they suck down and won't fall off even if the board flips over.

I also got one of those picasso open cell neorene freediving suits and I have literally been in the water for 6 hours straight and NEVER got cold. There are other brands that work just as well.

Humboldt County has the worlds biggest abs BTW, somewhere around Petrolia, that's as close as I'll say. That's where the world record came from , 12 5/16", up on the lost coast.

Good luck all.

ZKY

very good advice. I have found and heard the same thing regarding larger abalone in sandy areas. larger abalone typically are "loners" as well. you have my wheels turning on these freediving fins. I am still using my split fins for ab diving.

KOMPRESSOR:
Could someone be so kind as to put in a picture of the abalones you're talking about? I have a growing sensation I've left quite a few down there due to lack of knowledge...

I hope I can get this to work!

By the way, I was looking at that website with the diving in Norway, awesome!!!
If I was single and had money I would be there in a second. I have relatives in Sweden and one day I will go there to visit them, then maybe I can plan a way to get to Norway and dive the fjords (spelling?).

ZKY

as far as the split thing goes, i have had different experience. I found that my split fins work great for a surface frog kick while freediving. I like them better than my jet fins. This obviously isn't a popular opinion on some of the other parts of this board, but its what I have found works ok for me. I do switch back and forth though.

Conditions are looking pretty crappy for this weekend, so I may end up playing golf up there instead of chansing the delectable abalone around.

I'm assuming 25 to 30 kt winds, 3-6 foot wind waves and a 12 to 15 ft nw swell pretty much rules out diving up north? It would likely be enough to keep me ashore in Monterey, at least.

Ishie:
Yikes, glad the plan for me is next weekend.

I'm so excited! Just got my fishing license with ab card.

I'm getting mine this week...I've got an ab trip planned for May 7. When we aren't ab hunting, we'll be off in a nearby sheltered cove spearfishing...

Now, if I get my kayak by then..... (!!)

My wife loves fresh urchin .... Sort of a hijack, sorry, but may be relevant to this thread as well. Anybody know anything about the legalities and any tips on collecting? I can start a new thread if it is appropriate ....

Mark

mweitz:
My wife loves fresh urchin .... Sort of a hijack, sorry, but may be relevant to this thread as well. Anybody know anything about the legalities and any tips on collecting? I can start a new thread if it is appropriate ....

Mark

Hi Mark,

I was wondering the same thing about the laws regarding limits on urchins. I have seen a lot of people taking them and even got to try some last year but I don't know if there are any rules about it. I also wonder what differences there are between the larger dark red urchins and those tiny blue ones? I have always seen people harvesting the reds but last weekend a guy came up the rocks with a sack of those tiny blue urchins...are they even worth the trouble?

We were sitting in our favorite sushi restaurant a few weeks ago and I mentioned urchin... a few minutes later they are handing me a plate with 2 small rice rolls piled high with urchin on top...everyone at the bar was cheering me on to eat this stuff, I felt like I was on fear factor :p, I was able to choke it down and "finish the stunt" but it wasn't something I would ever order again!!!!

I just got back and am proud to say I got two nice sized abs. I gave one to my buddy, who got skunked, and the other is stuck to the side of my cooler, waiting for me to figure out the best way to clean and tenderize him.

Thanks for all the great tips! I'd say it wasn't that hard, but I'll keep my mouth shut since I wasn't able to limit on them. If visibility was more than 6" or swells were less than 8', it wouldn't have been that hard.

I wish I'd have read about the urchins before I left - it didn't even occur to me to harvest a few of those.

Back
Top Bottom