Zuma BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I own a Aqualung Zuma BCD. I am quite happy with it, but I wonder if I can improve it with the additional back weight pockets.
Two questions that come to mind:
1. Would the back weight pockets help to get a more horizontal position in the water? (as they are located higher then the integrated lead pockets)

2. I use 4 to 5 kg lead. Can you use 1 additional back weight pocket? I do not need 2 for the weight but maye 2 are better for balance?

I hope anyone has some similar experience with this.

Thanks!

Regards,

Dimitri

I had to take a similar approach with my Zuma Pro to get more horizontal. Instead of using Aqua Lungs weight pockets on the cam band, I purchase another cam band and 2 addtional pockets.
Depending on the fins, exposure suit or cylinder capacity, using different weights I can slide the cam band up and down the cylinder to acheive proper trim.
Putting pockets on the stock cam band limits my configuration.

I always prefer having two as close to the boady and I can get them. That way I am less likely to roll or turtle. Having one on the top, while horizontal, would tend to make you roll. IMO

Hi Scot,

Great idea that extra cam band, thanks!

I think I would use 2 pockets then, the rolling part is what I am worried about, especially while photographing.

Regards

Dimitri

I got my wife a Zuma. It is an okay BC, the reason we bought it was the light weight for minimum exposure gear tropical diving. Generally I prefer more rugged equipment. I have the weight pockets for cam bands for her and I also carry a cam band with Xcess pockets for additional weight.

However, unlike some on this board, I am not a believer in fully integrated dive equipment and non-ditchable weight in significant amounts. If a significant portion of the weight is required to be in an extra cam band and the AL cam band pockets then you have the wrong BC for the (exposure) equipment and the dive because that is not technically ditch-able weight.

The modern move to integrated systems, diver equipment dependency and significant amounts of weight that are fixed to the rig combined with the lack of Doff (and Don) training is a recipe for disaster.

N

Dear Nemrod, you are correct regarding the non-ditchable weights. I would never put all the weight in the additional pockets as you would be unable to ditch those in case of an emergency. It just a question of trying to get a bit more balanced/horizontal.

However since I am mostly diving in tropical waters when travellling (the reason I have chosen the Zuma btw) I do not need a lot of weight. Usually 4-5 kg is enough. That does make me wonder if you put 2 kilo's in the side pockets and 2-3 kg in the integrated weightsystem: will you still be dumping enough weights (only those 2-3kg's)in case of an emergency?

Rgds

Dimitri

Hi all,

I own a Aqualung Zuma BCD. I am quite happy with it, but I wonder if I can improve it with the additional back weight pockets.
Two questions that come to mind:
1. Would the back weight pockets help to get a more horizontal position in the water? (as they are located higher then the integrated lead pockets)

2. I use 4 to 5 kg lead. Can you use 1 additional back weight pocket? I do not need 2 for the weight but maye 2 are better for balance?

I hope anyone has some similar experience with this.

Thanks!

Regards,

Dimitri

Hi Dimitri.

The Zuma is a great BCD for travel, and is one of the lightest weight, and most "foldable" BCD's on the market. As you were saying, your balance would be better with weight evenly distributed, so using both pockets would be ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom