Zoo Tampa Stingray Deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belzelbub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd be interested in how the water became supersaturated with oxygen. Any ideas?

Did you read the article? Some possibilities are mentioned.

I'd be interested in how the water became supersaturated with oxygen. Any ideas?
Yeah, me too. They weren’t certain, as it had resolved when they tested the water, it had resolved. A guy the news interviewed speculated on possible sources, such as cracks in pipes, skimmers, etc. It didn’t sound like they knew.

Since it’s an aquarium with presumably fixed depth (pressure) and likely no plants for biotic changes, I’m guessing a change in temperature or salinity or both caused it, with the evidence being flushed away with the water change.

How does "too much oxygen" get in the water?

Home aquariums can have a bubbler or a waterfall pump. I assume these both add some small trace amount of oxygen to the water.

Is adding oxygen necessary in a big aquarium and how is it done?

Since it’s an aquarium with presumably fixed depth (pressure) and likely no plants for biotic changes, I’m guessing a change in temperature or salinity or both caused it, with the evidence being flushed away with the water change.
This.

I can't see how mixing with air would supersaturate. But a rise in temperature would do it.

(Or plants. You can see oxygen bubbles around the edges of floating eelgrass leaves on the surface in the summer.)

I don’t think it was mentioned in the article, but when the story first broke, they tested the water. I believe they pulled samples before the water change mentioned in the article. Initially, they tested it for toxins, but found nothing. If it happened over night, I could see that the dissolved air could have equalized by then.

It’s a touch tank, so fixed water depth, and only a couple feet deep.

I would be shocked if they didn’t have alarms for temperature and salinity.

This.

I can't see how mixing with air would supersaturate. But a rise in temperature would do it.
Wouldn’t a temperature rise result in less dissolved gas, not more? I could see a temperature rise leading to the water being supersaturated, but I would think that would need to be a pretty dramatic temperature spike.

Wouldn’t a temperature rise result in less dissolved gas, not more? I could see a temperature rise leading to the water being supersaturated, but I would think that would need to be a pretty dramatic temperature spike.

Think of it from the tissue perspective. Gases aren't a problem when they're dissolved, but become a problem when they come out of solution and form bubbles. If the ray's tissue is nearly saturated to start with, a temperature rise could trigger bubble formation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom