Zofran for seasickness...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
Hi, folks...

I have an absolutely HORRID time with seasickness. Just wondering... I've heard of many meds for the seasickies, and tried nearly all of them. I was going to try to get a script for some scopolamine patches before I head down to FL in a couple months, but, due to a recent stomach virus, I now have an ample supply of Zofran 8 mg sublingual tabs. Since it is a nausea/vomiting med, does anyone know if it would work for seasickness? I will, of course, ask a few of the docs I work with in the ER, but they may not know, considering we are landlocked, and don't deal with seasickness in my neck o' the woods.

If anyone has the answer to this, I'd really appreciate it. Zofran is VERY expensive... thank God for insurance and the $30 copay! The doc wrote for 20 of them and I have about 15 or so left... which equates to well over $500 worth of N/V meds (cash price for the whole twenty was over $700... cause the receipt showed how much the insurance paid!)! :jawsdown: I'm really hoping Zofran will work for the seasickies! Another bonus... (if Zofran is an option) is that it does not make me sleepy.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Zofran didn't work for me. I tried it once too. I had a prescription specificially for that purpose, only paid for a couple of them due to the cost. Took them to Grand Cayman....dived the East End....chummed the East End.

You never know, they may work for you....worth a shot in my opinion.

Zofran, Phenergan, Compazine, etc are designed to work once you are already nauseated but don't do much to prevent seasickness in the first place. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet for "mal de mer". I'm personally prone to seasickness even though I dive the ocean quite a bit (over 100 dives per year). I use Bonine (meclizine) before every dive, don't eat much before diving, and stay amidships where the rocking is the least. I have not used the scopolamine patch but an ENT at a diving medicine course I attended says it's the best.

Personally, I'd recommend bringing the scopolamine patch (or meclizine) as a preventitive but put the Zofran in your dry bag on the boat to treat seasickness if the others fail.

Best of luck!

Doug

Hi erparamedic,

While Zofran (ondansetron) can be effective in controlling post-surgical and chemotherapy-related nausea and vomiting, it is not a motion sickness medication.

The handful of studies which have been done to date suggest that it does little to prevent the development of nausea and other symptoms of motion sickness.

Given the efficacy and cost considerations, one would appear better off to fill a prescription for scopolamine and save the ondansetron for a possible future bout of viral gastroenteritis.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thank you. Looks like I'll be seeking the scop patch. I'm glad I asked about it, and definitely appreciate the great answers.
I'll still bring the Zofran, just in case. I just figured it was worth a try, since it's just sitting in my cabinet now. It's good stuff.

Thanks again!

Scopolamine works wonders for me. The Scopace pill, I recently discovered, also works well if you only want to address about 6 hours of trouble (like for me and shore diving -- any surge at all and I'm sick).

I tried ginger but it only addresses the nasea -- my discomfort (as when a dentist says "this root canal will be done without any pain medication so it may cause you some "discomfort") starts as dizzyness. If it don't take care of the dizzyness, it's not a solution.

The scop patch worked great for me a few years ago in the Keys. But unfortunately, I'm allergic to what I assume is the adhesive. Made huge golf ball sized welts behind my ears. My then internist was literally shocked when she saw them.....doubted I had a problem due to their reformulation a few years before and then when she looked actually said, "oh my GOD!" and said no more transderm scop for me.

I tried the oral scop later on and it made me so physically sick I couldn't get on the boat. I felt just like I did if I was seasick but hadn't stepped on the boat yet! I was dizzy, nauseous and light headed....I was actually doubled over because when I stood up to my full stature the vertigo was overwhelming. No more scop in any form for me.

So.....I'm back to meclizine and sight deprivation.

In case anyone wanted to know about Transdermal Scopolamine at pressure...

Title: Transdermal Scopolamine in the Hyperbaric Environment.
ADA178236, NEDU-2-86

Authors: Schwartz, HJ, Curley, MD

Abstract: The effect of transdermal scopolamine on the behavior of divers under pressure was evaluated during a 5 1/2 day, 60 feet of sea water (FSW) (2.8 ATA) air saturation dive. Ten Navy divers were administered either the drug or a placebo in the single-blind study during and after the dive. In both drug and placebo conditions, diver cognitive performance was assessed 12 to 14 hours post-administration using a test of memory and attention from the Performance Measurement System. There were no significant differences in group performance on the cognitive test as a function of drug or pressure conditions. Standardized clinical questions were also asked upon completion of the testing to document any side effects of the drug or placebo. Pre-dive, six divers given transdermal scopolamine had no side effects, three had dry mouth, and two reported mild malaise or mental fuzziness. At 60 FSW, two divers had no side effects, and eight divers reported dry mouth, Other side effects reported were two cases of mild malaise or mental fuzziness, one case of clumsiness, and one case of difficulty with visual focus. Post-drive (nine divers participating), three divers had no side effects, five had dry mouth, four had drowsiness, two had itching of path site, one had dilation eye, and one had trouble with visual focus. During placebo administration one diver reported mental fuzziness at 60 FSW, and post-dive one reported giddiness, and another had dry mouth. No unusual symptoms were seen as function of drug, pressure, or their interaction.

Full report available at: http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/

Take care,
G

I recently returned from a liveaboard and used BOTH the
scopalamine patches and dramamine. Maybe a little overkill
but I enjoyed my trip and didn't chum the water.

Hi Gator Diver,

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

You are correct that using both a "scopolamine" patch and Dramamine (not otherwise specified) is a bit of overkill. Such combinations of motion sickness drugs generally are not recommended.

Regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom