Zodiac for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been thinking of buying a zodiac for diving and wanted to get some input as far as minimum size, motor size, configuration.

I would be carrying no more than 3 other divers plus our gear for a two tank dive. All dives would be near shore dives with max range from shore being around 2 miles line of sight distance. I of course would have a portable marine radio and cell phone secured in a dry box for emergencies. tools for repairs.

Thoughts on the subject are all appreciated.

Thanks

Terry in San Diego.

Two divers, their gear and boat gear pretty much fill up a 14 footer. If you're planning on 4 divers and their gear for two dives you need larger than that. Remember there is fuel tanks, anchor and line, 4 life jackets, throwable device, flare container, and fire extinguisher that are required equipment. Four divers for two dives is 8 tanks, you're starting to get into the larger, heavier inflatables that are expensive.

And don't forget the emergency O2 and and an O2 provider course to go with it. Dennis is right, the larger inflatables get pretty expensive. Here a Nautica 28' dive RIB that was shown at DEMA last year. Very cool, but for about $100K it doesn't even have a head! :frown2:

divinman:
I have been thinking of buying a zodiac for diving and wanted to get some input as far as minimum size, motor size, configuration.

I would be carrying no more than 3 other divers plus our gear for a two tank dive. All dives would be near shore dives with max range from shore being around 2 miles line of sight distance. I of course would have a portable marine radio and cell phone secured in a dry box for emergencies. tools for repairs.

Thoughts on the subject are all appreciated.

Thanks

Terry in San Diego.

Agree with the comments so far, I have used a 14ft Zodiac with a 40hp engine and found that was adequate for 4 divers, all with single tanks.
Despite the fact that I eventually ended up using RIBS I found one of the advantages of the Zodiac was that it could be carried into the water then have the engine mounted. No messing about looking for slipways for boat trailers, just carry the thing in, plus you can get to those gems of a divesite.

I recently purchased a 8' west marine(made by zodiac) and use a 3 hp with built in tank.I use it primarily as a dingy but i do plan on diving out of it but i do have a sevylor to use to tow equipment if needed but now i am thinking it may not be large enough for two divers.I guess i will find out

I use to own a Quicksilver 14 ft it was more than able to haul 4 divers and all equipment. We had to pack and secure stuff correctly. Great dive platforms, very stable easy to get out of and in. You will want the 40 hp motor the weight of 4 divers and kit will slow it down with anything less.

hijumpr:
I've never dove from a inflatable, how do you get back in?

1. Use a ladder (yes, good rope ones are available).
2. Use the bob & kick method: go underwater, then kick up which propels you out of the water & onto the tube. Then you pull yourself into the boat the rest of the way (or someone helps you).

BTW, all methods require you to remove ALL your gear except mask/fins/snorkel before getting back into the boat. Remember the "doff & don in water too deep to stand up in"? THIS is where you use it!

When we ran our sail/dive charter in the Bahamas we used a 15' AIB RIB with a custom tank rack & a 40 hp outboard (tiller steering). Worked a treat for up to 6 tropically outfitted divers.

We too are thinking of purchasing a 20ft. rib. We have it down to Caribe and Zodiac. Any opinions/experience in choosing one over the other, other than price? :help: The main use will be dive jaunts over to Catalina and some fresh water outings.

Back
Top Bottom