Zipper Repair For BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubar

Reaction score
I broke my zipper on the pocket of my BC. The slider piece broke apart but the teeth are fine. Has any one repaired one of these on their own with some sort of replacement slide meconism?

Try asking the staff at a fabric supply store (Jackmans, Hancock, something like that). Take your bc with you. They may sell the same zippers there and many of the staff will be seamstresses who work with zippers regularly.

Sliders are usually the only part of a zipper that can be repaired. so you may be in luck. If the teeth or the pins or block at the end are damaged you are out of luck. The stops (the little clips that keep the slider from sliding off) are also replaceable.

Shoe repair shops are often equipped to replace sliders, as are (for the larger sizes) canvas/upholstery shops.

Or you can buy a kit and do it yourself. Fabric stores often have these, as does
http://www.zipperrescue.com/marine.asp

Thanks All I ended up buying a new slider and zipper stop. I works great. After installing the new slider I discovered that the tags in my BC pocket were the culprit in my original slider breaking, so I reluctantly cut them off. I was reluctant since the tags had the BC serial number. I guess its like cutting off mattress tags.

Scubar:
I guess its like cutting off mattress tags.

Don't be surprised if sometime durring a dive a man dressed in black approaches from behind and taps you on the shoulder. :wink: :shades:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom