Zipper jammed with salt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j-valve

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a quick fix for this one. I bought some gear last week and the guy threw in a mesh bag. The bag is a perfect size but both zippers are covered with salt and wont budge. I tried soaking them for days and chipping off what I could but nothing seems to help. Any of you salt water divers have the trick?

J

I tried the hot water before the long soak. :( It didn't seem to help

J

a marine supply store might have something specifically designed for salt deposits. For a mesh bag though, I dunno how much trouble I'd go to.

Maybe hit the zip with a soft wire brush?

WW

Try soaking it in a mixture of very warm (almost hot) water and vinegar for about 5-10 minutes. This creates a somewhat acidic solution that is good for dissolving salt deposits.

Then soak it in similar temp, but with baking soda for 5-10 minutes. (Neutralizes the acid solution.)

Last, but not least, a freshwater soak.

Hope it helps!

~SubMariner~

j-valve once bubbled...
The bag is a perfect size but both zippers are covered with salt and wont budge.
It is most likely corrosion. Use vinegar solution as has been suggested.... but if it is really bad the prognosis isn't good... stopping future corrosion of the now compromised zip will need to be a part of any remedy.

Go to the supermarket, Walmart, or Home Depot and buy a cleaning product called CLR. I think it stands for Calcium, Lime , Rust. Use it straight or cut it with water....what ever your prefer. His stuff likes eating minerals.

Then pour some in your Automatic drip coffee maker. You would be surprized what build-up you get in there.

Hey, never thought of using CLR... good idea!

But is is safe to use on stuff other bathtubes and the like?

Inquiring minds gotta know...

~SubMariner~

I use the stuff on everything from my coffee maker to my motorcycle. Just make sure you rinse well. Test a small area that is not that noticeable at first to see if it will effect color fastness. I think the label on the product tells you to do it also. I believe they even tell you to use it to remove rust stains and blood from clothing in the washer. Read the label in the store to see if it puts your fears at rest.
Hope it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom