Zip Tie Replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great suggestion!
Amazon.com
Search Mil Spec MS3367

But just checked my shop stock:
From Home Depot:
Commercial Electric 8" cable ties
75 lb.
"Meets Military Specs"
"U/V resistant"
SKU 295 813
$7/100
SKU 748 726
$22/1000

Guess I got lucky.
The problem with "Military Specs" is that the military basically choose the cheapest bid which comes from a supplier who hasn't cheated them recently. That isn't always the best option :) Aerospace spec, on the other hand, means that at least some thought went into the testing. Even if it also comes from the same background in the end.

The problem with "Military Specs" is that the military basically choose the cheapest bid which comes from a supplier who hasn't cheated them recently. That isn't always the best option :) Aerospace spec, on the other hand, means that at least some thought went into the testing. Even if it also comes from the same background in the end.

The $600 toilet seat would suggest that military choices are not always based upon the lowest cost. It is based upon the lowest cost to do everything that is required. You misrepresent our Armed Forces, sir. Mil Spec is generally good enough for me.

The $600 toilet seat would suggest that military choices are not always based upon the lowest cost. It is based upon the lowest cost to do everything that is required. You misrepresent our Armed Forces, sir. Mil Spec is generally good enough for me.
At times like this, I wish that there were some way to sense sarcasm on the internet.

If you are not being sarcastic, let's just agree to disagree.

Takes me back a bit, nothing like time on the deck gang to learn how real sailors did it a hundred years ago. If you use a serving board you can increase the tension on the serving so it will hold better.
Serving Board used in the Merchant Navy for whippinp rope
Bob
Yes, for sailors it`s useful thing. Acording ours Boatswain reference book there many tools for that type of knot:
1.jpg

...and some kinds of knots, but tools and that types of knots used more for wire ropes
2.jpg

But this type of connection fix - is most solid and firm.
some more picture of connections of corrugated hoses and adaptors:
5.jpg

Sorry, it is not the best example of that knots (it has spaces between turn), but it works well.
======================================

About of Zip Tie I can share some my experience of use:
For my eqipment I use it now just to connect mouthpiece to 2nd stage.
3.jpg

One most important notice, when you use zip tie:
does not matter, how good your cut the tip. You should stay just 2-3 mm tips end,
THEN
using lighter (you should use just special pattented type of lighter, approved by YMCA or PADI) it`s joke
you should melt that short tip into small ball.
There two reasons:
- first - you removing sharp edges.
- second, and most important - you make thickening at the end of tip, which protect you zip-tie connection from self-unlocking.

Yes, white colored zip tie is most unreliable. I use yellow :) no one broken in my memory.
Also I always have bunn of zip-ties in my tools set in diving trips, and also I have some underwater with me! Just in case :)

I will through a wrench in here...I use ties from CHICOMfreight. No problem.
Use an adjustable wrench as a spacer and a channel lock to snug. No special gun needed.
Use an xacto blade to shear to head of tie, no sharpness to worry about.
Done. Go dive

In another thread we were discussing problems caused by various failures of various power inflator mechanisms (among other things).

In several cases, the failure was due to a zip-tie being used to attch the courrogated hose that goes from a BCD to the power inflator.

I was thinking that this is something I've seen several times as an ordinary diver in the short time I've been diving, and it's something that should be fairly easy to remedy without replacing anything expensive. Just saying "inspect your gear" doesn't really help. Anyone who has ever used a zip tie knows that one moment they can appear just fine and the next they can break off. I guess you could proactively replace all the zip ties on your gear every 6 months or so...

What do you guys think about using stainless steel zip ties or some other mechanism to attach the power inflator?

I was thinking something like this: View attachment 452490

Anyone have any opinions or a better idea?
I would not use steel on plastic unless that was the manufacturer’s original design. Metal will probably wear through the softer material very quickly. Metal parts that are not specifically designed for exposure to sea water will also corrode surprisingly fast.

I think most zip tie failures result from cheap zip ties. I have had zip ties that lasted many years. The only one that ever prematurely failed were ones from the dollar store. They may look the same, but the material they are made from is very low quality.

This is pretty much true for all knock off copies of parts. My GoPro mounts are 10x better than the bag of accessories I bought on Amazon for almost nothing.

I will through a wrench in here...I use ties from CHICOMfreight. No problem.
Use an adjustable wrench as a spacer and a channel lock to snug. No special gun needed.
Use an xacto blade to shear to head of tie, no sharpness to worry about.
Done. Go dive
That is exactly the same technique that I use and it works well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom