Zip Tie Replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In another thread we were discussing problems caused by various failures of various power inflator mechanisms (among other things).

In several cases, the failure was due to a zip-tie being used to attch the courrogated hose that goes from a BCD to the power inflator.

I was thinking that this is something I've seen several times as an ordinary diver in the short time I've been diving, and it's something that should be fairly easy to remedy without replacing anything expensive. Just saying "inspect your gear" doesn't really help. Anyone who has ever used a zip tie knows that one moment they can appear just fine and the next they can break off. I guess you could proactively replace all the zip ties on your gear every 6 months or so...

What do you guys think about using stainless steel zip ties or some other mechanism to attach the power inflator?

I was thinking something like this: 91UzdxcrnbL._SL1500_.jpg

Anyone have any opinions or a better idea?

I'm pretty sure that's what my friend had on his power inflator originally. It had broken off and been replaced by a ziptie.

upload_2018-3-27_13-16-33.png

My wings have two zip ties at each end. Unlikely for them both to fail at the same time.

[QUOTE="kelemvor, post: 8252895, member: 413470"...Just saying "inspect your gear" doesn't really help. Anyone who has ever used a zip tie knows that one moment they can appear just fine and the next they can break off. I guess you could proactively replace all the zip ties on your gear every 6 months or so...[/QUOTE]

zip ties are perishable consumable items that should be considered temporary and replaced at least once a year if not more often for peace of mind. My guess, based on observations, is that most folk wait until things like zip-ties fail before thinking about them and when they fail it usually ruins the dive in one way or another.

Zip ties are stupid cheap....especially compared to the cost of gas to get to a dive site, a tank filled, etc.

-Z

all this is temporary!
Everlasting is better :)
Did you hear about Whipping Knot?
common_whipping.jpg

This way is most redundant and also you can do it everywhere and anytime.
All ours "old school" equipment used this type of tighten for pipes, specially for ambient pressured details.
i-3593.jpg

sure, it takes longer time to make it, but then you can forget about this connection forever. Pipe will broken early, than knot.
Just one remark - you can use kapron wire, but many years I preffer use Dyneema Braided Fishing Line (on the picture green one).

Last edited:
We used to lash everything in the co but went to zip ties because they are faster and cheap. We routinely pick up broken zip ties from ?, But the lashings have to be cut to replace/relocate cables. Like the diagram, very clear for anyone that hasn't lashed something together.

Zip ties are cheap and handy. Keep a few in your gear container and a few in your wetnotes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom