Zip Tie Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamoo:
Sounds like Kestrell is the kinda' guy who wears a belt and suspenders! :wink:

No, if my belt breaks and my pants fall down I won't loose anything, and none of the "gear" that would be dangling would cause damage to the surroundings.

Its just that the line is a bit stronger and if you tie it right, it will hold your bolt snap out straight from where it is tied. As for the zip tie back up, they are so cheap it seemed silly not to put them on. I love redundancy under water.

outlawaggie:
That depends on the tie. Bear in mind the cops use zip-ties now in place of handcuffs. If the cops trust their life to a zip tie I think i'll trust my light.

"Flex cuffs" are generally used in mass-arrest situations such as riots. It's a lot easier to carry around a box of 100 flex cuffs than 100 of the real thing.

Mostly because of costs (the only way to remove them is to cut them), they are not being used in everyday police work. Metal handcuffs are still the norm.

And cops are taught to never put blind "trust" any form of restraint. There's always a suspect who will want to prove you wrong.

scubamoo:
For what it's worth -- those "flex cuffs" can and do break. The guy I saw remove his own was a 260lb. crackhead Blood gangster -- he wasn't angry though -- just being helpful. :11:

A cop that would "risk his life" on a zip tie should hang up the belt.

For those who are wondering -- yes they were the white (non-UV resistant) type.

The kind the cops use is a lot thicker and sturdier than your average, garden-variety zip-tie. Yes they can still break, but then again so can metal handcuffs, particularly if the suspect is high on a drug like PCP.

But its quicker to tie your girlfriend to the bed posts with cable ties, and cave line leaves those ugly little marks!!!!

Uncle Pug:
The whole "don't use zipties use caveline" is silly... sorry Wendy, but it is a crock. *Caveline* is for folks who need to feel special. If caveline were really that great your regulator mouth piece and wing inflator mouth piece would be tied on with *caveline*.

Bill said it, black is what you want if you are afraid of UV rays blowing away all your attachments UW.

Personally I use the ones I bought in a tub at Costco, they are white and they last so long I will never be able to use the whole tub up!

So is it ok to use Zip Ties on all attachments? Is it DIR for example? Will I get knocked for it at DIRF class?

chris hecker:
some advise, if you are going to "trim the tail" after tightening the zip-tie, be sure to cut it straight across, as close to the base as possible. if you cut it at an angle, it will act like a little knife. If the zip-tie is in close proximity to my body (like on my reg) I take a small file and file the edge smooth. Unfortunately this was a hard lesson learned,(stitches). I hope this prevents another accident!!!

I CAN RELATE TO THAT BRO! I used a small low wattage soldering iron on the ends of mine. Melted them flush. No sharp edges and they also will never loose their 'grip' for whatever reason and come loose. The only way they're coming off is to break or get cut.
db

Back
Top Bottom