Zika Threat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awesome reply thanks. I will look into those items. I love Ex-Officio brand. Clothes are great. I like also what another poster mentioned about the bug netting. The biggest fear here is if my wife or I contracted it and say in several months got pregnant the obvious fear of microencephaly and/or other defects is the elephant in the room. We try and not live our lives in fear, but its a certain concern. At least Bonaire is an arid island, that cuts down a bit on the population.

Check out the cdc link above. You do not have to be concerned forever even if you got infected. Personally I would not go if we were trying to become pregnant in the next 6 months. If that is not in your plans I'd go.

Not to be all doom-and-gloomy, but Zika is about to hit pretty much the entire (warm) world, wherever there are mosquitoes that can carry the virus. Infected travelers have already brought the disease back to the US, and that's only going to get worse this summer, between normal tourism and the fact that the Olympics are being held in Rio, an epicenter of the epidemic. Looks like OP is located in South Carolina, which is prime territory for the Aedes aegypti mosquito.

NASA and NCAR map Zika's potential spread in the U.S. - CNN.com

Y'all are going to have to move to northern Montana - better get packing :wink: (In all sincerity, best of luck).

Zika is looking more and more dangerous. There have been cases of neurological problems in adults, including but not limited to Guillian Barre. My mom died from this disease over the course of a month and a half in intensive care. It was not pretty. In fact it was horrible.

Additionally a number of people have died from Zika complications - I don't think it would be wise to ignore the risk. I also firmly believe that proper precautions will most probably prevent infection. I'm headed to Bonaire for 2 weeks Nov/Dec 2016. I've got Dengue as well as Zika to worry about. Chikungunya (I think) has burned itself out there.

As Laene pointed out it's here there and everywhere and it's not limited to transmission by Aedes aegypti. At least one other species of mosquito can transmit as well - and it's range is all the way up the east coast. So unless you plan to move to the artic circle or to the antartic ...

As the climate warms the tropical "hot zone" will expand. In fact it now includes southern europe. There is a storm coming and it's going to be ugly. Between mosquito and tick borne diseases it's coming to a neighborhood near you. Environmentalists and PETA whackos are against using a genetic method to eliminate Dengue & Zika & yellow feaver & malaria mosquito species. The environmentalists argue that some birds will go hungry and the PETA people - well ... insects over people.

As for me, if someone can eliminate mosquitoes, ticks, black flies, deer flies, horse flies, moose flies, etc, etc, etc - go get 'em. Wipe them from the face of the earth.

One of the worst ideas god had was inventing these insects. The worst was inventing people for the bugs to eat. (NOTE: of course, this last was tongue in cheek).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom