Zero to Hero in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont understand the pushback of a person wanting to go through DM course as a beginner. I didnt see in his/her response that they were going to "work as a DM". If they can afford the course, any beginner would reap tons of benefit from studying and completeing a DM course. Telling them to go get a lot of experience and then get your DM certification is like telling a beginner golfer to go play for 2 years and then go take lessons. By the time that 2 years is up, that beginner golfer has a bad swing, leading to no consistiency, gets frustrated that they cant break 100, and basically has to be retaught all of the basics once he gets in the hands of a good instructor to fix his game.

I only use that analogy because too many of you are quick to tell somone not to get a DM right away. Why not? Why not learn all you can learn as eraly in your diving as you can? Whats wrong with that? It seems to me that most of your comments are more in the distrust of a beginner going straight from 0 dives to DM or Instructor and then actually working in the industry. Those points are very valid. I think the issue is, when should a Dm be able to "work as a DM"... Maybe PADI ought to update their certification and offer DM and a seperate certification when you want a job in the industry. Not having to go to more schools but it might be that you have to have 100 dives or more in the area where you intend to be employed. If a DM wants a job in Roatan then he/she should have some level of experience in that dive area.

But back to the original intent of my post... I would encourage anyone who wants to be a better diver to take as many opportunites to learn (in any manner that they can afford) whether you intend to work in the industry or not.

You don't understand the push back of the zero to hero approach eh? Hmm try working in this industry for awhile and i'm sure you will get it... You don't see in the OP that the intent is to work as a DM- fair enough... You also don't see any statement against such actions, yes??? Why else would one want to be a DM if not to work? Considering the yearly cost it would be better to go thru to Master Diver... DM course's do not teach anything other then how to manage other divers, why would one who could barely manage them self think it's ok to manage others??? That would be a better question...

Last edited:
Hello,

I would like to pick up diving as part of my time spent in Phuket, as I'm going to be there for about 6 months, I'm considering getting myself qualified up to a dive master level - currently non-diver. Can anyone of you experienced divers out there recommend a suitable shop for me to go with? Or should I take things step by step and figure things out only when I get there?
Email Phuket Instructor and SB Moderator Quero and ask for advice, and see her website at:
Gekko Scuba Divers | Company Profile

For starters, right there in Singapore for basic Open Water, I recommend going with UTD Instructor Chew Poh Chang at Rainbow Reef Dive Shop:

Chew Poh Chang's Page - Unified Team Diving

I would just like to mention that the type of instructors that teach Z-H type classes are unlikely to be the type of instructors who will care about whether your skills and knowledge base is up to snuff. It's all about the Bhat.
If you really want to be a competent DM get the mileage with a good mentor. If you find someone who you consider to be an awesome instructor they are the ones you want for a role model.

Well I apologize for the bit of confusion there. I have no intention of working in the dive industry at all, I was just doing some reading up and a dive master would look like a pretty decent accomplishment for me to do in the 6 months over in Phuket.

I know some of you guys said that I might not even be that passionate about diving, but I'd still like to start of at somewhere decent. First of all, the shop wouldn't tarnish any first impression of diving that I might have. And secondly, be adequate enough for me to carry on my dive master should I so decide to do so.

Thank you kevrumbo! I'll look into your suggestions.

Alternative suggestion to UTD will be GUE at Living Seas in Singapore.
Why bother to go to Phuket?

Alternative suggestion to UTD will be GUE at Living Seas in Singapore.
Why bother to go to Phuket?
Oops, forgot about Living Seas in Singapore . . .

I also highly recommend long time veteran GUE Instructor Gideon Liew (Living Seas Singapore):
Living Seas - GUE Training and Scuba Diving in Singapore

The best dive operation in South East Asia IMHO, to take advanced/technical training, and/or professional DM/Instructor Certification, garnering valuable experience in the deep beautiful reefs and strong currents of the Verde Passage around Puerto Galera Philippines:

Scuba diving - Philippines. The Philippines, a total scuba diving experience.

You don't understand the push back of the zero to hero approach eh? Hmm try working in this industry for awhile and i'm sure you will get it... You don't see in the OP that the intent is to work as a DM- fair enough... You also don't see any statement against such actions, yes??? Why else would one want to be a DM if not to work? Considering the yearly cost it would be better to go thru to Master Diver... DM course's do not teach anything other then how to manage other divers, why would one who could barely manage them self think it's ok to manage others??? That would be a better question...

BTW the original poster did clarify and has no intention of working in the industry. I have not said ANYTHING about the Zero to Hero approach. My analogy was whats wrong with someone taking as much training as they want (from OW to DM) just for the sake of knowledge and training? My argument is NOT that they would then be prepared to work in the industry. Also, I dont agree with the statement you made that "DM courses dont teach anything but how to manage other divers"... There are stamina and water skills, Quality Skills tests, Rescue demonstration, knowldege tests, ...all of which I believe would help a new diver and certainly wouldn't be a disadvantage to him/her. But I do accept that a valid alternative to taking the DM course would be to focus on the Master SCUBA Diver courses/dives once he completed the advanced and resuce diver courses.

Kevrumbo - thanks for addressing the actual question being raised by the orginal poster and providing some good recomendations.

Last edited:
I don't offer zero-to-hero course packages, but I'd be glad to work with you, Jus, on a pay-as-you-go basis. That way you can see where your dive training leads you, and you are free to move around to other parts of Thailand or Southeast Asia to do some fun diving or other courses rather than locked in to a Z-to-H course you've paid upfront for. You may ultimately decide that going through the whole DM course is exactly what you want, but equally possible, you could decide not to do the DM course at all but rather focus on different specializations as your interests grow in one direction or another. For example, maybe you'd get interested in photography and want to dedicate your funds to buying photo equipment rather than spending the money on a professionalization course. Or maybe you'll get interested in coral reef conservation and join in some programme that will advance that interest in some way. It's hard to say at this point what might "grab" you, but if you want to explore the diving world, I'd be more than happy to have you work with me on your Open Water course, and then see what happens after that.

One of the users here on scubaboard named Quero runs a dive shop on Phuket. If she can't help you directly she may be able to recommend someone.

I would also recommend you read Jim Lapentas thread titled 'how to choose a scuba instructor' I think it is a sticky in the new divers forum.

Think carefully about comiting that amount of time and money befor you are sure you love diving, but most of all enjoy your trip, Thailand is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

*Edit* Damn-too slow*Edit*

...If they can afford the course, any beginner would reap tons of benefit from studying and completeing a DM course...
The DM Course is not where you learn anything about diving. That is what the normal pre-requisites are for (the zero to hero courses teach the prerequisite courses of: Basic, Advance, and Rescue and then the DM course all in one course along with getting the pre-requisite number of dives). But when you take them all in a manner of a few weeks, you don't have time to internalize and absorb the knowledge, gain exprience and get comfortable with it so that it is second nature to you.
Why not learn all you can learn as early in your diving as you can? Whats wrong with that?
Because you need to master the basics before you move on to more advance stuff. Taking the Basic open water course in the usual 4 days (which is IMHO too fast) the average diver has challenges maintaining 15 foot safety stop and controlling their buoyancy. This should be mastered (not just barely demonstrated but mastered) and be second nature before adding deep diving, night diving and other Advance level dive skills, or becomming responsible for novice or unlicenced divers lives. In short, learing all you can is good, but you need to do it IMHO in small bites, learn a new skill, practice it until it is mastered and second nature before taking on another new skill. This is how you were taught in school, new skill, do homework to practice the new skill over and over and over and then add another skill. It makes no sense to take Deep Diving when you have 6 life time dives and can't maintain your buoyancy and hold a 15 foot safety stop.
... It seems to me that most of your comments are more in the distrust of a beginner going straight from 0 dives to DM or Instructor and then actually working in the industry. ... Maybe PADI ought to update their certification and offer DM and a seperate certification when you want a job in the industry.
They did. That is the difference between a Master diver (non-professional, can't work) and a Dive Master (professional who can work in the industry and is required to have insurance etc). A DM is expeced to be a professional with both skills and experience, who is responsible for the safety of all around them and for rescuing them and more importatly taking action early to prevent the need for a rescue in the first place. A little realized point is that DM is not a permanate rating like BOW, AOW, Rescue. The DM and Instructor cards have Expiration dates and requries annual renewal. A DM must have current CPR/AED and insurance and renew their DM card. A DM is expected to not bolt for the surface and to stop those who are, a novice diver is not normally the person who I wold want to risk my loved ones life on being able to do that.
...Not having to go to more schools but it might be that you have to have 100 dives or more in the area where you intend to be employed. If a DM wants a job in Roatan then he/she should have some level of experience in that dive area.
We agree. the DM should have experience in the local area they are working.

DM training is about learning to manage groups, being a dive guide, being a dive safety, and assisting under the supervision of an Instructor in teaching skills the Dive Master (DM) has mastered. The DM course does not normally teach any additional diving skills and does not hone diving ability, that is suppose to be done before the course and is a pre-requisite of the course. The course of DM and Instructor were all designed with the idea that the students taking the courses were experienced divers. The Zero to Hero courses take those requirements and address them at the minimum level and zip them through. Requirement 50 dives, OK everyone in the water, 20 minutes at 20 feet, surface, wait 10 minutes, drop down again for 20 minutes at 20 feet. That is 2 dives, change tanks, rinse and repeat. That means you get a DM with about 17 hours underwater total lifetime experience. Is that really who you want being responsibile for the dive safety of you or your loved ones? So no, we are not opposed to anyone getting additional knowledge, we just want them to do it in a fashion that gives them adequate expeience and time to really do learn the skill and obtain mastery skills that are used in a sport that can kill or paralyze if not done right. Mastery (my definition) is being able to do the skill from muscle memory without thinking about it in an emergency. Example - buoyancy, mastery = sit in lotus position, legs crossed, hands on knees for 5 minutes at a set depth (+/- 2 feet), and in ocean, maintain desired depth thourghout the dive without yo-yoing up and down and maintain 15 foot safety stop without holding onto anything.

The OP has clarified that they do not intend to work in the industry. Great, all the more reason not to take the Zero to Hero Dive master course (Untrained person, to Dive Master), spend over a thousand (USA) dollars to do it, spend many hours in training and get a card that expires in 1 year and don't even know if they will like diving before commiting to a huge amount of money. Nope, take BOW, get 20-50 dives under your belt, then decide if you want to take the next bite Advnance Diver, dive another 20-50 dives, then take Rescue.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom