zena fit help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In working with Zeagle years past, I learned that the proper way to adjust and wear it is by loosening all the straps, pull the entire BC down. Tighten the middle strap first AT your natural waist (should be below the ribs). Tighten the bottom straps, then just snug the shoulders. You can then go back and make sure the bodice straps are snug on your body.

IF you've done this correctly, your Zena should never shift or move on your body during a dive. When tightened down, you should have about 1/3 of your straps as slack. If you have more than 1/2 left, you are incorrectly sized.

After nearly 650 dives on my Zena, I've found the best position to adjust in is horizontal during my decent on a dive. I tighten up only enough to get into the water, then immediately go horizontal, loosen everything up, yard my Zena down by the bottom side of my wing, tighten the middle strap, tighten the bottom, snug up the shoulders, then check the bottom straps, and I'm done. Takes literally less than 15 seconds.

Hi All,

I have the Zena XS and am brand new to diving (OW certified this past Dec., only 6 dives total including my checkout dives). Can't wait to get back in the water to try some of the fit tips mentioned here. Like the OP, my tank was shifting side-to-side at points.

I know there are numerous threads devoted to streamlining/how to attach gear & accessories. But, as you know, the "real estate" or surface area of the Zena is small, and there are few pockets (compared to some BCDs like the Zeagle Ranger my husband sometimes uses). The Zena does, of course, have the 4 stainless steel D-rings available; and I have been looking at our collection of clips and lanyards, trying to figure out how to affix needed items by clipping, looping, tucking, etc. I could really use some guidance, please. :confused::D

Currently have 2 console computers, linecutter, DiveAlert Plus horn, slate. Need to get SMB or SSK (which I believe has safety light, whistle, mirror), flashlight, tank banger, and whatever else would be absolutely necessary for safety.

I could ask the nice folks at the LDS for their thoughts. But, most of them are men and are not actively wearing the Zena themselves. So, for those of you who are, how do you configure your gear/accessories on your Zena? In case it's relevant, I will generally be doing boat dives (shallow, <60 feet) during daytime (maybe night dives after some training) and/or liveaboards in warm ocean waters. Thanks in advance for any help you could give me! :)

Last edited:
Hello DiveMaven, ddavin, SubMariner, Laurie S., islanddream, and all,

Sorry for the remora-esque nature of my post, and I realize there are a limited # of folks who both wear the Zena and happen to read this thread. But, if you would kindly please spend a few minutes and tell me what type of diving you do, what you bring, and where/how you affix your gear, I'd appreciate it. Got any pics of yourself on land suited up, please share 'em.

I understand well that what works for someone else may not work for me. In scrolling through your SB profiles, I see there are some differences amongst us in terms of gear carried (e.g., console w/wrist back-up versus two console; instructors sometimes carrying extra weights for students, etc).

Your feedback would be helpful to me as I try to prep for when I'm next in my pool (once weather warms up) or better yet, on a shore or otherwise mellow ocean dive trying to sort some of this stuff out. My hope is to next do a good peak performance buoyancy-type course or simply hire a private instructor to spend a bit of time with me; I am in no rush to simply complete AOW. I'm working toward becoming the most competent, capable vacation diver/dive buddy I can be.

I know "vacation" or "tourist" divers are a turn-off to some. But, unless I have a radical change of heart and goals, that is what I am and will be going forward. I currently participate in another sport where I have put in the requisite 10,000 hours and gotten pretty good in spite of myself. :wink::D That is where my main focus will remain, however snorkeling and diving are a joy that I wish to pursue on (admittedly) a more limited basis than some (many?) of you.

Thank you again for any help you may choose to give me!! :)

Be glad to help you out with this. I do two main activities when I'm diving--photography and spearfishing, so my gear arrangement varies. What doesn't change is that I hang a compass on the bottom left D-ring and I have a pocket on the right side middle strap. Sometimes, I use my Oceanic Dive Buddy and when I do, it clips onto the left shoulder strap. I use a wrist computer with a transmitter, so nothing needs to clip to my BCD.

When I have my camera, I remove the lanyard from it once I'm at depth and clip both ends to the upper right D-ring.

When I'm spearfishing, I hook a collection bag to the lower right D-ring, and the fish stringer to the upper right D-ring.

Be glad to help you out with this. I do two main activities when I'm diving--photography and spearfishing, so my gear arrangement varies. What doesn't change is that I hang a compass on the bottom left D-ring and I have a pocket on the right side middle strap. Sometimes, I use my Oceanic Dive Buddy and when I do, it clips onto the left shoulder strap. I use a wrist computer with a transmitter, so nothing needs to clip to my BCD.

When I have my camera, I remove the lanyard from it once I'm at depth and clip both ends to the upper right D-ring.

When I'm spearfishing, I hook a collection bag to the lower right D-ring, and the fish stringer to the upper right D-ring.

All of my diving currently is either in Maui or Bonaire. In Maui I do a combination and boat and shore diving, on Bonaire its 100% shore diving.

I carry:
dive alert-installed on inflator
safety sausage- clipped to my wing webbing on the right side behind my body
gauges- clipped to the bottom left D ring
knife- sheath is installed on the middle strap webbing to the left of the zipper
rattle-hanging from the bottom D ring on the righ
whistle-attached to the little loop on my Zena badge
dive light- lanyard clipped to left middle D ring, Goodman handle stuck in left side webbing

Sometimes I'll install the Sport pocket I have on the right side lower webbing if I need to carry something like an Otter Box.

I have a hoseless integrated wrist computer on my wrist (gauge is backup).

Hope this helps.

Hi Laurie S. & DiveMaven, thank you!

Laurie...pocket right side? Are you referring to the existing one on the BC or an additional one you've added?

Also, what sort of clip do you use when you bust out your Ocean Buddy? I get neck strain when (often?) viewing my console. (Probably shld hv gone with a wrist-mount option but instead "matched" my dive buddy's console gear set-up.)

DiveMaven,

Goodman handle? Photography-related? Other?

You mentioned installing a sports pocket if needing to carry an Otter Box. Is this phone-related? Other? Sorry for the questions. Luddite-city here. o_O

My dive light is a Nocturnal Light. SLX 800t LED Dive Light

Goodman handle was the wrong name, it's actually called a lantern handle. Sorry had a little brain fart.

I carry a flashlight to be able to find small critters, look into holes, etc. I'm not a photographer, but I appreciate a bright light.

The Otter Box is when I have to carry car keys when shore diving. My husband dives in a Ranger which has pockets and normally carries the box, but if I'm shore diving without him, I have to be able to carry the box so will attach the auxiliary pocket.

DiveMaven,

Comprendo. Thanks for the good info! :) Happy diving!!

Hi WrmBluH20:

I have the following:
DiveAlert installed on inflator
Safety sausage and finger spool attached to the wing webbing on my left side
SPG clipped on a ring on my right side above the pocket (I like my SPG going across my body...easier to read)
Sheathed knife attached to upper left shoulder strap
I have two wrist computers....one worn on each wrist
Small flashlight on lanyard clipped on the same ring as my SPG. I can put the flashlight in the pocket of the BC while on the lanyard.
I carry a GoPro on a lanyard on my wrist but will clip it off on a ring if I'm sending up my sausage

One caution about the Zena: the orange pull that releases weights out of the pockets (if you want to dump them in case of an emergency) has velcro that can come loose. Here's what happened to me yesterday: All geared up with 10 lbs. of lead in my BC. Jumped off the boat and had a very hard time getting down. Geez, I was sure 10 lbs. was more than enough in my new 5 ml wetsuit and 3 ml hooded vest. I finally got to the bottom and had a good dive. Started up for my three minute safety stop and could NOT hold the stop. Corked to the surface and was dang lucky I didn't get bent. Got on the boat and decided I needed to add more weight. When I went to put more weight in my integrated pockets....the weight I originally put in was gone! Crap, I accidentally must have pulled the orange release while adjusting the BC side straps as I was descending! The velcro had to have come open for me to be able to do that. So, my chore once my BC is dry is to try to figure out a way to secure the velcro so I don't have such easy access to the orange pull. Ugh.

Other than that....I love my Zena!

Happy Bubbles!

Back
Top Bottom