Zeagle Recon Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was recently in Oz and got the see the Recons first hand. They look nice.

They are not flat but curved, the blade that is. The blade on the M (smallest size) is noticeably shorter than the Latge. Sizes look to run small. Wearing a size 7 6.5mm 4th element Pelagic boot the mediums were too small and the large was a snug fit.

If the shop wasn't asking $260 I might have bought a pair. They look very nice indeed.

so, i guess with shoe size 40 (6.5) 5mm IST boot i think medium size fin is comfort for me,, one of scuba store in Indonesia celebrate their 4th anniversary, so they give 40% discount on zeagle recon,, the final price is around USD 120 with 2-3 weeks indent,, but Im happy with it :)

so, i guess with shoe size 40 (6.5) 5mm IST boot i think medium size fin is comfort for me,, one of scuba store in Indonesia celebrate their 4th anniversary, so they give 40% discount on zeagle recon,, the final price is around USD 120 with 2-3 weeks indent,, but Im happy with it :)

Hmmm I think a medium "might" be a tight fit.

My pair just got in yesterday and I've got some pool time coming up on Friday. I'll post my review after that. I'm upgrading from Promate Spartans, Mares Volo Race FFs and Mares Avanti Quattros, so I'm expecting a difference. Tried out the Seawing Novas and I wasn't 100% happy with those, but the positive buoyancy was something I liked about them.

I've done a dive in the recon fins. I found them to give good propulsion (better than my novas at the time) without too much strain on your ankles/legs. They were not much good for back fining, I can't recall if I even tried a frog kick. In summary, if you don't mind having a bit less control for recreational type diving, I could recommend these fins, however they weren't much good for me.

I then got jet fins, which I find great for back fining and manoeuvring. They are a bit heavy to push around though.

I am currently using Deep 6 Eddy fins, they are stiffer than the jet fins which takes a little getting used to (fine once you do). They do all kinds of fining well and the foot pocket really is great. Highly recommended.

I have about 10 dives on the Recons.

Great frog kick propulsion, nice fat rib for easy rotation on the spot. Certainly heavy and negative, but not an issue for me. I am very happy with the choice.

As for sizing, medium is small, Large is medium, and so on. Anything over US size 8 will not fit into the medium.

Great for frog kicks. Better propulsion than my spartans in the flutter (wasn't too surprised as they're fairly cheaply made fins) and the weight isn't much heavier than my spartans either. (Really didn't make much difference hovering at all.) My new boots should fit nicely when they come in and my existing boots weren't overwhelmed by the foot pocket.

Didn't try back kicks or helicopter kicks as I'm still working on those. Didn't have much time anyways as I putting myself through a dry suit refresher before my ice diving course next month.

All said, I'm glad I pulled the trigger as these work for me.

I have been using the recon fins for about a year now at work mostly and I like them a lot. I snorkel in Atomic split fins most of the time. Recons are similar in my view to original Jet Fins. They are fast / have good propulsion and not too hard on the legs. Here is a picture of the recon next to an original 1970 Jet Fin. Recon is considerably larger and non vented.

recon%20jet-L.jpg

I have about a 100 dives with mine. First tech fin for me so I don’t have the requested contrast of Dive Rite XTs, Jets, Avantis, etc.

I came from some ScubaPro Nova fins which are like track shoes.....I can move like a rocket for a long time with a strong hip-articulated flutter kick but it didn’t seem like I could get anywhere with a frog kick.

Enter the Recon. They naturally cleaned up my frog kick immediately. I still get periodic feedback from dive buddies that I swim fast although I’m frog-kicking at a “forever pace” (and I’m diving a twinset, them in single tank). So, I think propulsion is good. If I need to power my way through some surge or flow, I have to work harder with a flutter kick than the ScubaPro Novas but the Recons get the job done.

Back kick is so-so but that might be operator error.

I think I’m going to buy some Dive Rite XTs in the next month or so to see if they’re as good as Lamar says they are.

Back
Top Bottom