Zeagle Razor for back mounted pony....thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichigandiverJon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm getting a 19 cf pony and intend to back mount most likely inverted on a Dive Rite Transplate. I was thinking that I might just leave it rigged with it's own reg. To that end, does anyone have any thoughts or experience with a Zeagle Razor? Initially, I like the simplicity of the design, but I know it needs an adapter to be filled. And I could be limiting my options if I need / want to use the reg for something else down the road by not going with a conventional first stage. I'm currently using a 5 ft primary hose and bungeed secondary. Thanks.

The Razor may not be suitable for cold water diving as it is an unsealed piston reg. If you are diving in Michigan that could be a problem.

agreed, I would only put a sealed diaphragm on a backup regulator like that. I have no issues with integrated first stages, but if you want it for that type of diving, I'd use this one instead

Balanced Diaphragm First Stage - RG3V

Cave Adventurers - Hog Stage Regulator Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
That's probably a better deal though since it gives you the whole regulator, then grab whatever tank you want. More versatile for use down the road.

I'm also curious as to why you want to back mount it rather than slinging it in front. A slung bottle is easier to manage, friendlier on boats with tank racks, no worries about it getting bumped and emptying accidentally, and makes lifting the BC as well as donning and doffing it easier. That's an extra amount of weight on dry land that is not necessary to deal with if you sling it.

Thanks guys! I didn't see that the Razor was unsealed. Definitely won't be getting a Razor. Jim, my instructor recommended the back mount, and the general opinion in my area seems to favor the back mount. I had thought about slinging the pony, but I also intend on starting my journey into Tec classes this winter and thought that the back mount would leave room for slinging other bottles when I get that far. Just trying to think ahead.

when you start tec classes you're going to want to go to doubles or sidemount for the redundancy it offers. If you're going to tech you're not going to be using a pony if you're carrying multiple bottles. Buy an AL30 or AL40, grab the Hog D1 regulator set from Edd since it's stupid cheap for what it is, and then you can use that for pony, stage, deco etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom