Zeagle Doesn't Know the Words

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nait hadya

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My new zeagle 7 regs started humming/vibrating after a few dives. seems the source of the noise is the purge button. second stage and octo vibrate. is this normal or are they in need of adjustment?

I have no personal experience with Zeagle regs, but I have had other namebrand second stages hum/vibrate while breathing off of them at the surface.

If it occurs during inhalation or exhalation, it's probably the diaphragm resonating against the case. Often times, the vibrations will disappear on their own over time. Sometimes it's helpful to take off the cover and re-seat the diaphragm. Some second stages are more prone to this than others. As long as the reg is functioning properly (you should learn how to check this), I wouldn't worry too much about it. After all, the humming is probably only an issue when you're breathing off of the reg at the surface, right?

Last edited:
that is correct, above water only. with a very light finger pressure on the purge button the vibration goes away. the reason for my concern was that they did not make any noise at first so something changed inside the regs?

If you know what you're doing, you can simply unscrew the purge cover/face, inspect the diaphragm, perhaps clean the diaphragm of any sand/grit, and then reassemble.

Some people are afraid to open up their regs. They choose to think of them as black boxes that magically deliver air when you suck on the mouthpiece. I'd recommend that you learn a little about how your reg works. You can also download a Zeagle reg technician manual that describes the detailed steps of a reg overhaul from this site.

If you look in the Troubleshooting Section of the technician manual, you'll see that "harmonic resonance" in the second stage can be addressed by:
  • Re-seating or replacing the diaphragm
  • Replacing the low pressure seat
  • Removing/rotating/re-installing spring
  • Explaining to the customer that this is not harmful to the regulator and does not occur under water
  • Move the Venturi lever towards "-" (minus sign) until the resonance stops.

Or...just take it to a local, trusted reg tech who may charge you a few bucks to attempt to fix the issue.

Hope this helps...

My new zeagle 7 regs started humming/vibrating after a few dives. seems the source of the noise is the purge button. second stage and octo vibrate. is this normal or are they in need of adjustment?

It's probably just a little resonance/vibration between the diaphragm and the reg case. The purge button allows you to dampen the diaphragm, that's why it stopped the humming. It won't happen under water. some very expensive brand new regs do this, I would not worry about it. It'll probably go away. It's a little weird that it started happening simultaneously on both 2nd stages, is that correct? If that's the case, maybe something is wrong.

the noise did not occur at the same time, they are identical second stage regs.
The noise probably didn't occur in both second stages simultaneously because...you were only breathing from one of them at a time. Right? :D

If it's only above water, don't worry about it. My Zeagle have always done that.

Back
Top Bottom