Zeagle--balanced Diaphragm vs. Flow-by piston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonicr1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, i am a noob, been certified for a year and I am ready to start getting my gear together (sick of renting!!!!!). Anyhooooo I am looking into the Zeagle Envoy and Rezort. I was hoping someone could shed some light on the differances between balanced Diaphragm vs. Flow-by piston. I feel stupid asking the question because there is only a $20 price differance, so why not go with the Envoy??? I am leaning on the side of, well if I can save $20, great, instead of, well it's only $20 more.

Thanks-Bill

Craaaap, that link and the links in that link and the links in that link... no definitive answer!!! OK, Thanks-Charlie

sonicr1:
Craaaap, that link and the links in that link and the links in that link... no definitive answer!!! OK, Thanks-Charlie
Well, that in itself kind of answers your question. A good reg is a good reg, independent of diaphram or piston.

You'll get the same non-answer if you were to ask the common question of "what's better, brand X or brand Y?" For that question you will get a hundred posts with two basic answers:
1. It doesn't really matter, and
2. MY reg is best! :)

sonicr1:
OK, i am a noob, been certified for a year and I am ready to start getting my gear together (sick of renting!!!!!). Anyhooooo I am looking into the Zeagle Envoy and Rezort. I was hoping someone could shed some light on the differances between balanced Diaphragm vs. Flow-by piston. I feel stupid asking the question because there is only a $20 price differance, so why not go with the Envoy??? I am leaning on the side of, well if I can save $20, great, instead of, well it's only $20 more.

Thanks-Bill

Diaphram - No water gets in the first stage. The diaphram is acted upon by the surrounding water pressure, but does not enter the first stage of the regulator to do this. This type of regulator is generally "environmentally sealed" which you should check if you plan to dive in murcky or cold (below 50 degree F) water.

Piston - Open to the water around it. It also acted upon by the water pressue but is more likely to be affected by things in the water and cold temps.

I personally own 3 of the Zeagle DSIV (now known as DSV) regs with ZX second stages and ZX OCTOs, couldn't be happier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom